Poppet types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
So I am brand new to kegging and just got a setup from KegConnection. I took the stuff apart to sanitize it and now am perplexed. I didn't notice that there were different poppets in the first keg I took apart, and I'm wondering if they are supposed to be different (one type in the gas and one in the liquid post), or if it doesn't matter.

One definitely looks like this:
K102.JPG

and the other is probably this one:
K103.JPG

I'm hoping to do my first keg today and I don't want to do it wrong. Help please!

Thanks!!

First, don't mix parts between kegs that are working OK. Sounds like you are doing OK on that one, don't stop now.

Second, if your O-rings are in good shape you should be able to pressurize a Cornelius keg to 12psi with the posts screwed onto the keg just finger tight.

So put the fool thing together with bare hands only. If it holds presure you got it right the first time. If it leaks take it apart and switch the poppets I/O.

With no lube you might be able to see that one choice leaves poppet to post gaps that are similar while the other way the poppet to post gaps are radically different. In this instance try the setup with the similar gaps first.

I use the gas in tube as a press tool to get my poppets seated in the posts on assembly FWIW.

I'm wondering if they are supposed to be different

No, but they can be. One problem with used cornies, the parts aren't always consistent. Look closely and you should be able to match poppet and plug.

Thanks for the tips. I don't know what I'd do without this great forum!

Back