Learn from my n00biness!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpar345

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch of beer yesterday, and American Pale Ale from BB. Here are the mistakes I made:

I had to move the fermenting bucket across my basement to facilitate bottling, which stirred up some of the trub/sediment which transferred to my bottling bucket and into some of the bottles. Hopefully that stuff wasn't in suspension after three weeks, I really have no idea.

I forgot to take a FG measurement until after I added the carbing sugar... :drunk:

I think the gravity when fermentation was complete was around 1.015, so I'll guestimate that it's about 5% ABV. Bottling is a lot more work than I initially thought, I'm already ready for kegging.

Learn from my idiocy, people!

:fro:

Bottled my first batch of beer yesterday, and American Pale Ale from BB. Here are the mistakes I made:

I had to move the fermenting bucket across my basement to facilitate bottling, which stirred up some of the trub/sediment which transferred to my bottling bucket and into some of the bottles. Hopefully that stuff wasn't in suspension after three weeks, I really have no idea.
IT'S A GOOD IDA TO PLACE THE BEER IN THE BOTTLING OR KEGGING SPOT SOME DAYS BEFORE YOU DO IT SO SEDIMENT CAN SETTLE OUT AHEAD OF TIME. UNLESS YOU REALLY STIRRED IT UP, THOUGH, YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

I forgot to take a FG measurement until after I added the carbing sugar... :drunk:

FG NOT CRUCIAL; HOWEVER, MANY DO NOT DRINK WHILE BREWING OR BOTTLING. CAN LEAD TO SILLY OR DANGEROUS MISTAKES.

I think the gravity when fermentation was complete was around 1.015, so I'll guestimate that it's about 5% ABV. Bottling is a lot more work than I initially thought, I'm already ready for kegging.

BOTTLING IS NOT SO BAD. KEGS ARE A BIT OF WORK AND MONEY, TOO. I HAVE BOTH AND PREFER NEITHER.

Learn from my idiocy, people!

YOU'LL BE FINE.

:fro:

People have done much worse and still had great beer.

B

People have done much worse and still had great beer.

B

I wasn't drinking during the process, it was pretty early Sunday morning due to the time change.

I'm not worried, I'll just be embarrassed when one of my buddies swallows a chunk of hop when trying my labor of love.

Hehe. Shoot.. I've been brewing for going on 8 years now and have never once taken a gravity reading.
It'll be fine. Like was stated, people have done much, much worse and the beer still turned out fine. :D

Yep I learned very quickly just how many brews I can have before I get sloppy. Doesn't sound like you hurt anything, I stirred up quite a bit of trub bottling my last batch and the beer still tastes great.

The brewing process is definitely all about learning from your mistakes. :)

Back