First time I've seen this problem - clogged tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I just put my octoberfest into the kegerator a few hours ago. I naturally carbonated it in the keg and let it sit at room temp for 3 weeks before installing it today. Before hooking up the gas I purged the tank, waited a second, and purged again. I then hooked up the gas at 15psi which is what I typically run on my setup and came back 2 hours later for my first sample.

When I tried to pour my first taste it spit and sputtered for a second and then nearly stopped. All that it will pour now is a very slow drizzle of foam, and looking at the line it's all foam in the line as well. I've delt with over carbonated kegs before where it pours at normal speed but all foam, this is the first i've seen where it pours so slowly. I should mention that this is a new to me used keg that I got in a lot of 6 so I have not tried it before. Could it be that one of the tubes is clogged or reversed? I am sure I hooked the gas up to the IN but (newb question) could the tubes have been taken our and reversed? I disconnected the gas, purged again, and re-attached the gas making sure that I heard the hum of the tank as it refilled the keg, so I know gas is making it through the regulator.

Help please :mug:

Your dip tube may be clogged with sediment.

You can vent the keg, then unscrew the beer out post and pull the dip tube to check, then clean, sanitize, and reinstall..

You could also connect a black ball lock connector to your gas line (having MFL connectors makes this easy) and give your beer dip tube a hit with about 12 psi. It might clear you tube, but it will also disturb any settled sediment, so it will take time to clear again.

I recommend the first option.

ive had that happen before when dryhopping in a keg. it dosent take too much to get a piece of crap stuck in the dip tube.

if your keg is not carbonated yet, hook up the CO2 line to the liquid out post so that the CO2 is fed down the tube to the bottom. this slow trickle of gas should let the particles settle to the bottom and compact out of the immediate area of the dip tube pickup.

if you still have problems, rack to another keg. if your dip tube were installed in the "gas in" side, you would hear the CO2 bubble up thru the beer, and nothing would come out of the "liquid out" side except CO2.

A bit, but not too bad. I bet it will settle out in a day or two. Edwort, you saved me once again!

Back