What should I prime with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
I did a quick search on HBT and quickly noticed that DME is NOT reccomended. However, that is what both of my last two recipes came with and called for (1 1/4 cup). I've got two in the primary right now and still a couple weeks from bottling (shew).
Is corn sugar still the preferred method? From what I understand Corn Sugar is quicker to carb and more even than DME. Based on that alone, I'm sold on Corn Sugar.

Corn or cane sugar are good for priming. DME will work, but you could get little krausen rings in your bottles. Save the DME for your next starter and just get 4 oz of sugar from your pantry.

Really? Just regular ole' sugar.... Do I boil it in water first? 2 Cups?

Yea, plain old sugar. Yes, boil for a minute first in a cup of 2 of water. And you use almost exactly the same weight. I.e., 4oz of corn sugar is equivalent to 3.8oz table sugar.

I made a batch of pilsner in the fall that I split between the two sugars. I couldn't tell the difference when they were fully fermented. I believe I slightly slower carbonation, but in the end it's all the same.

I don't know what you mean by "2 cups", but that would be the appropriate amount for about 15 gallons. The amount of any priming sugar depends on the fermentation temp of the beer. There are online calculators, etc, for figuring out how much to use. See the following:

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Latest posts

Back