Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
Does anybody know if Oberon is made with coriander seeds or orange peel? Do you have to crack the seeds?

I don't know about Oberon, but if you use coriander seeds, you should crack the seeds. I use a mortar and pestle, so its not like I grind them finely. Just a cracked, as you said.

Unfortunately I learned more about coriander after my latest use. I used it in a batch of Wit that I bottled today. From what I've now read here and on the Hoegaarden website, there are two types of coriander seed. the type in the supermarket that gives beer a yucky vegetal taste and the type you get in brewer supply stores that gives a citrus and spice flavor. Apparently Hoegaarden claims that it the coriander that gives the beer the orange notes, not the orange peel itself.:confused:
I used the supermarket kind. The only luck was that the small amount I used provided no flavor, so neither harm nor foul for me.

Unfortunately I learned more about coriander after my latest use. I used it in a batch of Wit that I bottled today. From what I've now read here and on the Hoegarrden website, there are two types of coriander seed. the type in the supermarket that gives beer a yucky vegetal taste and the type you get in brewer supply stores that gives a citrus and spice flavor. Apparently Hoegarrden claims that it the coriander that gives the beer the orange notes, not the orange peel itself.:confused:
I used the supermarket kind. The only luck was that the small amount I used provided no flavor, so neither harm nor foul for me.

Yes, good coriander seeds give an orangy citrus flavor and the dried orange peels often used give a bitterness.

I use coriander seeds we bought at an Indian grocery store here in the Chicago area, very bright orange flavors.

Yep Pappers, now you tell me;), well I washed and saved my yeast from this Wit batch today, Wyeast 3944. My next batch will have the better coriander. My luck came in the fact that I only used .25oz for 5 gallon batch. I read that too much will overpower the Wit and I chickened out on the amount. Although i love Hoegaarden, I find it has a bitt too much coriander flavor.

I used the finely ground style from the spice cabinet. No regrets so far. But I only have 1 beer in which I've used them in. But after reading this, I think I'm enticed enough to try the actual brewing style of coriander.

Back