Weird taste....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scox80

Reaction score
I did a hefe extract with steep....and the result, it had a dirty type taste to it. Not that I've conscioulsy ate dirt or anything before....but it tasted like a hint of dirt. It's not undrinkable....but i'm not about to start handing bottles of it out to my friends.

What could this possibly be? The best I can think is contamination maybe....? This is my 12th beer and never had it happen before. I have made this same recipe (save I had to sub in amarillo for cascade due to the LHBS was out of cascade) 4 times prior to this.

Other info that might help: It sat in primary for twleve days. Fermentaion temp. was 64-72.
Any help would be great......

If I read the post correctly, you are using amarillo hops this time. I would not expect to have an earthy flavor from that hop. Yooper is always a great help so post your recipe and she can help.

Go wings!

ok thanks......here's the recipe 10 gallon batch

8lbs american wheat extract
2 lbs bavarian wheat extract
2lbs caramunich -------->steep
1lb american crystal 40L ------>steep

4 oz. hallertauer 60 min
2 oz. Amarillo 15 min
1 oz hallertauer 10
the hops were all pellet form

pitched with white labs american hefeweizen ale yeast - wlp320

Hi,
I don't see anything fundamentally wrong, though I would suggest you run it through a brewing program to see where you are with IBUs/balance.

Most likely its not the recipe itself: I would probably start here to get a few ideas on what might be the problem.
http://brewwiki.com/index.php/Troubleshooting

Cheers,
Brad

I don't see anything in there either- I was hoping something would just "jump out" at us.

I'd follow Beersmith's recommendations, and let it sit a while. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking the only thing it could be is contamination. If I'm wrong that's a good thing!

Latest posts

Back