Over flow on fermenter, Do you save the foam blown off??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh, no :) More flocculation means more settling, not more rising :) If it's busy like that there'll be plenty in suspension. RDWHAHB

Are you using a blow off tube? A blow off tube and a 5 gallon primary will overflow during initial fermentation. I put a little star san in my blow off bucket and switch to a normal air lock after vigorous fermentation ceases.

nope, toss it. unless you kept it sanitary. then it's not overflow, you're just feeding the 'thumper'.

IMG_03071.jpg

This was what I woke up too this AM.... came home to THE SAME THING again after work!! I've lost 1 gallon so far. Lesson learned... my previous blow off was WAY too small. Upgraded to a 1" (internal diameter) and funneling it into a 1.5G jug. SWMBO is not talking to me currently because of this... 2 foot diameter black circle on the carpet!! FML

A couple of observations from a noob like myself.
Quite a bit of beer in the carboy, Looks like at least 5.5 gallons.
The stopper looks like its not installed all the way.
The hose appears to be clear, nothing flowing through it.
Could it be plugged up?

I've only done 3 Cooper's and 1 Extract + grains and have never seen anything like blow off.

Does this come w/AG brewing or something else? :D

nope. just happens sometimes as far as i can tell. just had my first one a couple of weeks ago. just started using the blow off tube. now i'll be using it everytime so i don't get a freakin mess!

A couple of observations from a noob like myself.
Quite a bit of beer in the carboy, Looks like at least 5.5 gallons.
The stopper looks like its not installed all the way.
The hose appears to be clear, nothing flowing through it.
Could it be plugged up?

5.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy... correct

I just stuck the stopper back in... it was laying in the krausen in the bottom of the fermenter as I mentioned

The hose was clear cause it wasn't even hooked up by the time I snapped the picture.

This beers OG was 1.100 and blew the blow off twice. This same fermenter housed the same amount of beer at 1.096 and didn't blow. I think I am attributing it to the amazing starter I made this time around.... 2L of 2 smack packs of wyeast. The other beer was a single dry packet of US-05 stepped up to 2L.

5.5 gallons of beer
0.5 gallon starter

6 gallons of high gravity beer in a 6 gallon fermenter. I'd get a seven and a half gallon bucket for the next one and cut down on the mess.

5.5 gallons of beer
0.5 gallon starter

6 gallons of high gravity beer in a 6 gallon fermenter. I'd get a seven and a half gallon bucket for the next one and cut down on the mess.

6 gallons was factoring the starter... should have mentioned that... also it is a 6.5 gallon. I refused to use buckets. There won't be a next time... simply I just didn't have the proper blow off.

5.5 gallons of beer
0.5 gallon starter

Thats what I was thinking. The post with the pic say's you lost a gallon already. I don't have much experience at brewing yet but it looks like to big of a batch for to small of a container.

Latest posts

Back