Carbing aged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I have 2 beers that have been aging for about 7 months now - uncarbed, in kegs. I had planned on force carbing them then bottling off some, if not all, of it for competitions and cellaring.

I've had spotty success as best with the BMBF. I don't doubt the method, I'm sure that I'm just not doing something properly. I plan on revisiting that thread later today to hopefully find what I'm doing wrong, but my question is this:

Is bottle conditioning a beer that's been sitting still in a keg for 6 months even an option? Would there be viable yeast in there to bottle carbonate? I'm guessing that the answer is no, but I thought I'd get some input.

I wouldn't chance trying to naturally carb unless you want to repitch with a neutral yeast at bottling time.

I would give the BMBF another try. I've had great luck with it. The key is to just accept that you're going to lose some beer, and make sure you fill the bottles as closely to the top as you can. Me, I just bottle in a clean rubbermaid tub, then drink whatever spills out the top after it's all over by pouring it from the rubbermaid into a glass :D

Though, as I found out last night, do NOT try it with a tap line where you have flow gates installed. :(

Back