Strong (off?) flavor from US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, back on topic here.... at least, maybe not on topic, but related to the topic. I'm not sure how much this entire sticky helps with the current issue at hand, but I've been reading through it since I woke up this morning and it's very interesting. Enough so that I now have it tabbed on my desktop. I'm sort of jumping around and not reading it entirely in order, but there's a lot of stuff on mash and sparge pH and how it affects the beer.
Onipar, I'm hoping you can get a water report without having to pay for it, or at least not have to pay a bill for it. It sounds like a lot of variables in the water can really influence the beer, and it's really a matter of the palate of the drinker as to whether those flavors are desirable or not. I, for one, notice a lot in my beers, especially light beer, I think I'd notice something like a minor flavor from water and it sounds like you probably would too. This may be a matter of figuring out a single trace mineral that's causing this. Personally, I think I'll be using spring water or R/O water with added minerals from now on in every batch. :)

No worries everybody; I'm just glad for all the help.

NordeastBrewer77, you asked earlier about my mention of infection. I don't really think there was any infection. I think I was just caught off guard by the sudden presence of that tart flavor, and I had no other way to explain where it came from.

Bu then you mentioned it could be from the US-05 fermenting around 63, and I feel that's much more likely, especially since it is a "pleasant tart," not overpowering at all, and something you might not even notice when you taste it. Who knows, by time this beer makes it to you, you might not detect any off flavors.

See, that's the underlying issue beyond possible water/yeast/off flavor problems: I'm a new brewer, new to many styles, and simply doubting of my own palette. That's partly why I wanted to get a couple trades together.

As far as the water in my area, my tap water is always clear and never tastes strongly of anything to me. Lately we've been worried to drink it simply because we haven't had it tested in a long time, and we're unsure of how safe it is to drink (well water is supposed to be tested fairly often to ensure it's safe to drink).

That's why I'm definitely planning on getting the water tested. It will help with brewing, but also, I'll know if it's even safe! :drunk:

I didn't think infection either. The way you describe that tartness sounds like 05 to me. From what I understand, and infection would leave a lingering sour/tart bite throughout the drink and after. IME, that's what I get from a lambic or other bug fermented beer, very different from the pleasant, IMO, tartness 05 can give off at lower temps. Let's hope that the bolded statement holds true.... then this'll just be one big RDW moment that we'll all learn from! :mug:

I am going to toss this out here just as another train of thought. What sanitizer are you using?

onipar,
Please post your water test results when you get them. I'm curious to see how different they are from mine (Central Florida). It seems that most people are on municipal water, so chlorine/chloramine problems seem to be more common, but obviously not for you since your well water is not chlorinated. Let us know if you get any more clues to what's causing the phenolic issue for you. And good luck.

Draken, Star San all the way. I switched over after a PITA 1st brew session with one that needed thorough rinsing.

Cosmo, absolutely. I'm going to be doing that very soon too, especially after what we've discussed here.

NordeastBrewer77, awesome thread, holy cow! I purposely have avoided thinking about water chemistry thus far because it seemed like it would just confuse me at this point in my brewing history (only now going all grain, still nailing down my process, etc).

I'm still more likely to simply move to using bottled spring water then messing around with adding stuff to my water, but as I said earlier, getting that water test is something I really have to do anyway (for general health reasons), so it's a good first step I guess.

onipar said:
Draken, Star San all the way. I switched over after a PITA 1st brew session with one that needed thorough rinsing.

never mind that kills my theory

Hey, Cosmo (and whoever else may have gotten their water test from Ward labs): Did you just order the "Beer Test" through them?

https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

If so, does that kit come with prepaid shipping?

I was going to do the beer test through ward labs, and then the bacterial test through my local lab ($30) because that one is sort of a pain through the mail. You have to send it in a chilled cooler.

BUT, my local lab charges $30 just for the "hardness" test, and then like $15 for every additional mineral. Ward labs seems much cheaper for that.

I ordered the ward labs beer kit test. I guess it'll be a week or more before I get results, but I'll post them when I do! Sweet.

Sweet dude. I have everything ready, I just have to bottle up the IPA and Hefe. I'll do the IPA tonight or tomorrow, and the Hefe Thursday, I'm about to pull the second FG sample after I get this here tasty can of PBR in my belly. Everything else is on the kitchen table waiting to get packed and sent. :rockin: Gotta love beer!! :rockin: :rockin:

I HAVE to tell someone about this score I just got. So you all know I was going to my local lab to get the water tested? I decided to ask if they had any equipment for sale.

The guy takes me to his old lab and says, "This stuff is going o a wholesaler tomorrow. What do you want?"

I got a Fisher Scientific stir plate, a 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask, 1000 ml Erlenmeyer flask, 1000 ml beaker, a couple small stir bars, graduated cylinder, a 4 liter glass carboy, and a glass thermometer for $33!

He asked for $45 at first, and when I told him I only had the $33 in cash, he said, "just take it." Just to be nice I offered him some homebrew next time I was over there. Least I could do for such a great deal.

I can do yeast starters the right way now. So stoked. :ban::rockin:

I HAVE to tell someone about this score I just got. So you all know I was going to my local lab to get the water tested? I decided to ask if they had any equipment for sale.

The guy takes me to his old lab and says, "This stuff is going o a wholesaler tomorrow. What do you want?"

I got a Fisher Scientific stir plate, a 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask, 1000 ml Erlenmeyer flask, 1000 ml beaker, a couple small stir bars, graduated cylinder, a 4 liter glass carboy, and a glass thermometer for $33!

He asked for $45 at first, and when I told him I only had the $33 in cash, he said, "just take it." Just to be nice I offered him some homebrew next time I was over there. Least I could do for such a great deal.

Duuuude! That's awesome! :rockin: F'n lucky!! I think I paid that much for my 2L flask (NB sell's 'em with a Lb. of DME and a stopper for ~$29). You got hooked up there, man. How long do you have to wait for the lab to get back on your water?

Duuuude! That's awesome! :rockin: F'n lucky!! I think I paid that much for my 2L flask (NB sell's 'em with a Lb. of DME and a stopper for ~$29). You got hooked up there, man. How long do you have to wait for the lab to get back on your water?

Good question. I was so excited to get down to the guys other lab that I totally forgot to ask. I hope not too long. I gave them my email so I could get a response quickly.

But keep in mind, that's just the bacteria test. I'm doing the "beer water" mineral test through the online ward labs because it was much cheaper. And for that I still have to wait for them to send me the kit.

Good question. I was so excited to get down to the guys other lab that I totally forgot to ask. I hope not too long. I gave them my email so I could get a response quickly.

But keep in mind, that's just the bacteria test. I'm doing the "beer water" mineral test through the online ward labs because it was much cheaper. And for that I still have to wait for them to send me the kit.

Gotcha. The mineral test is the important one. But it's always good to know if there's bugs in your water since it's an unchlorinated well.

I've noticed a water lab on my way to work. I seriously need to stop by and see if they have stuff for sale!!! :ban:

Yes, do it! :rockin:

You never know when you'll find a deal. I tend to just randomly ask people, like at that lab. Or at yard sales, even if there isn't any beer stuff out, I'll ask if they have equipment they're looking to sell.

Most of the time they say no, but every now and then they get this far-off look and say, "Oh, yeah, you know what..." And boom, they come hauling out some buckets or a bottle capper or something. :ban:

What I was *really* hoping was that this lab guy had a bunch of stir plates and flasks so I could get a bulk deal, then resell some. But I'm not complaining. Good luck if you decide to stop and ask :mug:

One last update. I received my water test results and everything looks good. All mineral compounds are where they should be. If you'd like a more in depth look at my results, see the video below. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some off flavors in some of my beers also. Does it geet better as time goes by? I would guess water pH in the mash Mash if you are doing all grain kits. I am expermenting with using some DI water in the batch that I brewed yesterday. Lighter beers do not bring my well water that has a 7 pH down enough with the grain bill.

Actually, as it turns out the flavors I was tasting aren't off flavors, rather, I just didn't like this style beer (it would seem). :drunk: Nordeastbrewer Was nice enough to do a taste test (I'll post his video below) of the Cream Ale, and found it to have no off flavors. Add to that the water results I just posted, and we're leaning towards me just not being completely aware of what an off flavor might taste like.

But to answer your question, some off flavors can dissipate over time, and it is always better to let it sit rather than to dump it. I've heard many a story of a brewer letting an awful tasting beer sit for a while, and then loving it after some time passed. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back