Why does Northern Brewer often recommend sacch rest of 165?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Just wondering, I see a lot of their recipes call for a sacch rest at 165, typically with a prior beta rest at 145-149 or so. From the bit of reading I've been doing that seems quite a bit higher than I usually see recommended. I've seen sacch rest temps usually recommended in the 150's and beta rests in the 130's.

So what is the difference using their temps? 165 is pretty close to the 170 mash out so I'm a bit confused and figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

Rev.

Just wondering, I see a lot of their recipes call for a sacch rest at 165, typically with a prior beta rest at 145-149 or so. From the bit of reading I've been doing that seems quite a bit higher than I usually see recommended. I've seen sacch rest temps usually recommended in the 150's and beta rests in the 130's.

So what is the difference using their temps? 165 is pretty close to the 170 mash out so I'm a bit confused and figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

Rev.

That's unusual- I've never seen that before. Which recipes call for that sort of rest? I've never done many step mashes with their recipes, but if you have a copy or a link to one we could look at maybe we could figure out what's going on.

OK, I was wrong about the beta rest part. I just looked it up and found the typical beta rest is between 140-150, so what I'd read prior was a bit off. But that still leaves Northern recommending the upper end of the beta rest and still doesn't explain the 165 sacch rest.

@Yooper - many of their recipes recommend this. Off hand I'll say I have the Patersbier recipe, going to make it this weekend, and their Alpha Sacch rest is 165. I was looking at their all grain kits today and saw another with a 165 sacch rest but I can't recall which kit. *Edit - maybe someone can rename this thread to remove "often" since it's not on a ton of their recipes.

Rev.

OK, the other kit I just found was "The Number 8", it also has a Sacch rest of 165 listed.

Rev.

OK, the other kit I just found was "The Number 8", it also has a Sacch rest of 165 listed.

Rev.

Not that I don't believe you, but can you provide the link to these instructions? I want to take a look at the whole thing to see what that's all about.

Ah, I found it! That is a bit high for a step mash, in my opinion (I'd go no higher than 160, and probably more like 156), but it does give the option for a single infusion at 149 degrees.

Yeah, I was wondering if I should do it more at like 158 or so. If I were to do the alpha rest at 158 should I still do the beta at 145? Oh, and I plan on only doing this recipe (Patersbier) as a two-step mash.

Rev.

Back