Iodophor boo boo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Ok, here is the deal. I used iodophor sani for the first time today while bottling. I guess you have to let the equipment and bottles completely air dry before you use anything. I let the bottle drip dry to the point where there was no visible liquid inside. Here is my question: if a drop or so got into your bottling bucket or bottles, would it effect your beer or make you sick when you drink it? I am assuming at the 1oz/5 gal dilution, the level of iodine is relatively safe. It really cut down my bottling time, so I would like to use it again, I just want to make sure I am using it properly.

Ok, here is the deal. I used iodophor sani for the first time today while bottling. I guess you have to let the equipment and bottles completely air dry before you use anything. I let the bottle drip dry to the point where there was no visible liquid inside. Here is my question: if a drop or so got into your bottling bucket or bottles, would it effect your beer or make you sick when you drink it? I am assuming at the 1oz/5 gal dilution, the level of iodine is relatively safe. It really cut down my bottling time, so I would like to use it again, I just want to make sure I am using it properly.

At proper dillution iodophor is a wet contact santizer. Meaning you don't rinse it and you don't let it dry.

If you let it dry then anything touching or laniding on the sanitized surface will not be killed and will in effect un-santize the suface.

At proper dillution it has not affect on your beer or on the drinkier whatsoever.

If the sanitizer dries, the bugs won't die.

Just sanitize the object, adn let it drain out, but don't let it dry, then rack you beer right on top of the wet surface.

I posted a lot of info on sanitizers, especially iodophor in this thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Right before I bottle from the keg, I spray some idophor solution in the bottle, then I turn the bottle upside down and shake it once. Then I fill, I have never noticed an off taste or anything.

My idophor solution is usually a small cap full in the spray bottle then fill up the bottle. It's probably 3 times stronger than what it should be but again, I use it for all my sanitation and I have never gotten sick or tasted off flavors from it.

Just a reminder of not to pour left over down the drain if you have a septic tank. It kills bacteria, even the ones in the tank. I use it my self and if the beer was good enough to place in a competition, then it should work for you.

Just a reminder of not to pour left over down the drain if you have a septic tank. It kills bacteria, even the ones in the tank. I use it my self and if the beer was good enough to place in a competition, then it should work for you.

The amount poured down the drain in a 5 gallon solution would not harm the tanks bacteria specially in a 1000 gallon septic tank. Bleach in much stronger solutions and a much more potent bacteria killing agent is used every day in white washes with septic systems.

To the op I have gone to star san but used BTF exclusively prior and I would just let it be in contact a minute or two then drain and fill.Never had an off taste

Back