UK Kegerator - which fridge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesemt

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to build a kegerator but am struggling to find a suitable fridge in the UK. How do you know wether there are any cooling parts in the top before drilling?

Anyone know of an electrical store in the US that will ship internationally? I really want a black fridge, but there is nothing in the UK.

Are there any UK homebrewers on here with kegerators?

Any advice would be greatfully received!!! :)

I cant help you with this. What is the elect. grid running on over there? Our fridges are 120 volt 60Hz AC. There has got to be a way to get a fridge that will work for you. How much do you have to spend on the fridge alone?

Hi, our electric runs at 240 volts. Iirc you can easily get converters (lots of people over here bought US games consoles and ran them with a power pack).

Budget wise, anything up to about $500 would be OK. I even phoned a powder coating company to get a quote on powder coating a white fridge black!! Only problem is that the fridge would need to be completely stripped as they dip the metal parts...

The reason for really needing a black fridge is that because it will live in a Home Theatre, and Stainless (or god forbid, white) would look a bit daft :eek:

All of the major appliance makers have black fridges. Are you looking for a full size fridge or a small "Dorm room fridge"? How many kegs do you want inside? Where do you want the taps to exit the fridge, the top like at a pub or from the door of the fridge? I wold imagine you can get a decent apartment, read "flat", fridge for your budget. I have a couple of " freezer on top" fridges that i have converted to keg fridges. If I can be of any assistance please ask. How ever I am a bit "Daft".

I'm looking for a 'dorm room' sized fridge - big enough to fit two corney's in. I really want the tap out of the top on a draught (that's 'Draft' to you ;) ) tower.

On a slight side note, why is everything so expensive over here? 4 gallon Corney kegs are around $160 second hand, petrol (errr, Gas :D ) is $7.50 a gallon...

Jamesemt said:
On a slight side note, why is everything so expensive over here? 4 gallon Corney kegs are around $160 second hand, petrol (errr, Gas :D ) is $7.50 a gallon...
Just wait until you see the power output and prices of the propane domestic 'turkey fryers' alot of these US guys use as burners and try and compare prices to the UK puny versions. Ouch........

Back