Important data points during brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I've noticed that when troubleshooting, people sometimes don't get the help they need. Oftentimes it's because they can't provide enough information about their beer because they didn't take enough data points throughout the brew process. So I thought I'd try to put together a comprehensive, somewhat-chronological list of data points we should be recording on brewday (you know, for us nerds who keep meticulous logs). Some of the data points won't be relevant to everyone, but I'm trying to include all the possible steps. I'll add to the list as people make suggestions.

Mis En Place
1) Intended batch size, OG, IBUs
2) Fermentables (grains, extracts, adjuncts) - weight
3) Hops - weight, AA%, time of additions
4) Yeast - strain, starter size
5) Water - total volume estimates, mineral adjustments

All Grain
1) Ambient/grain temp
2) Strike water temp/volume
3) Actual mash temp achieved
4) Time of rest
5) Mash pH
6) Other infusions - water temp/volume,mash temp achieved, and rest time
7) Periodic temperature checks
8) Volume of sparge water used
9) SG of first runnings into brewpot (correct all SG readings for temp)
10) Multiple sparges - volume, SG of runnings
11) pH of runnings
12) Preboil volume, SG

Extract
1) Steeping water - volume/temp
2) Temperature of steep
3) Time of steep
4) Volume of sparge water added
5) Preboil volume, SG

The Boil
1) Extract additions - weight, resulting SG
2) IBU recalculations
3) Total boil time
4) Hop additions - weight, AA%, timing
5) Other additions (clarifying agents, flavors/spices) - quantity, timing

Fermentation/Packaging
1) Pitching temperature
2) Pre-fermentation - volume, OG
3) Fermentation temp
4) Fermentation vessel type
5) Length of primary fermentation
6) Extra fermentations - temp and time, SG, volume racked
7) SG of any periodic checks
8) SG, volume at packaging time
9) Amount of bottles/kegs packaged

And don't forget to write down tasting notes, particularly of the first and last of a batch!

salts added to mash.

If this get to be a real comprehensive list, might be worth making into a pdf for easy printing for log keeping.

Number of flies stuck on the fly paper dangling above the brew kettle.

I'm all for taking notes, but do you honestly think people will include all this info before posting a "my beer aints good" thread?

I'm all for taking notes, but do you honestly think people will include all this info before posting a "my beer aints good" thread?

Oh GOD no!! I'd be impressed if more than 10% of people who post "my beer aints good" do a search before posting. But hopefully encouraging people to take good notes will help them become better brewers. And hopefully this list will let them know what numbers are useful enough to record.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself. I love looking back on my brewlog when I learn something new and understanding old recipes through new knowledge.

I use Kaiser's log sheets.

They have everything on the original list (for all-grain), but I've used it with extracts for recording the basics. They are mostly chronological, with spaces to write everything. I cannot recommend these strongly enough!!!

p.s. - Thanks Kaiser (if you see this), you've made my brew-days much more pleasant since I started using your log. :mug:

Other stuff I take notes on:

Finings, spice, fruit, vegetable, etc. additions during or after fermentation
Dry hops
Method of preparing and adding the above, whether I use a hops bag, etc.
Cold crashing -- starting and ending temps & times
Notes on appearance (including clarity), aroma, and flavor when I check gravity

Back