Fruit fly problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to try a new solution (new to me)

I'm fed up of the little kamikaze bastards trying to sup my Ale.

images

Carnivorous plants!

A solution that's a little quicker is to just buy a small bottle of wine vinegar. Leave it open on the counter top and the little buggers will crawl in and die. You'd be amazed how many you'll catch.

Of course, carnivorous plants are much more entertaining even if not as effective.

The easiest to grow carnivorous plants (and attractive as well) are butterworts (Pinguicula sp.) and sundews (Drosera sp.). I wouldn't rely on them for full blown biological warfare against FFs but they are fun plants. :D When the Pings bloom, they have lovely orchid-like flowers.

Here's a shot I took of a Drosera capensis leaf in action with offending FF.

pic.php

IMG_1217.jpg

I heard a small saucer of apple juice with dish soap in it works wonders. I will be employing any strategy I can after my mega infection.

I tried a wine trap in a cup, like some of the websites say...the MOFO's just sat on the lip of the cup, only 3-4 actually drowned....

Apple cider vinegar is a sure-fire trap. I have them in my frog room (I keep poison dart frogs) to trap escapees.

CPs are my other hobby besides brewing. Before I started med school, I had about 130 of them, but a bunch died because I'm too friggin busy to water them. Flytraps are a good choice, so are Drosera. Pings aren't bad but I always found them more effective against fungus gnats than flies. I specialized in the Asian ones though...
Here's a semi-recentish pic of one of them

DSCN0366.jpg

I have some coming.

Tell me about the compost required.

What kind of CPs? The more or less universal growing medium for most species of CPs is 50:50 peat moss and sand, kept permanently wet.

I always used 50:50 peat/perlite. Keep them in bright light in shallow dish of water (~1/4"). Unless its P. primuliflora, because that one is prone to rot. If you get one of those, just water form the top. Other than that, they're much more low maintenance than people think.

Feed Me, Seymor!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRN39oifsE]YouTube - Feed Me (Git It) - Little Shop of Horrors[/ame]

Shouldn't the soil be low Nitrogen, which is why they've evolved carnivorism in the first place? I remember hearing that somewhere.

I always stick to using a relatively inert substrate. Orchid bark, charcoal, perlite, vermiculite, peat, cedar bark/mulch, and styrofoam in various amounts depending on the plant make up pretty much all of my mixes.

Or you could wash your bottles good. Sorry Orfy. I have had horrid FF problems since I started brewing, and not just with my empties. I wash my new empties about once a week, then they get moved to basement storage. The basement has helped alot because it separates the mostly clean from the not clean and there are lots of spider webs so they help also. I also keep, my DME,Dextrose and other ingredients separate in a sealing plastic tote.

Back