oh crap! boiled grains!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fultonhopper

Reaction score
I was steeping chocolate and crystal malts with the extract for my latest batch of beer, and I accidentally let it boil for about 5 minutes before I noticed and removed the grains. Will this ruin my batch of beer?

I was steeping chocolate and crystal malts with the extract for my latest batch of beer, and I accidentally let it boil for about 5 minutes before I noticed and removed the grains. Will this ruin my batch of beer?

It won't ruin it. That is far from ideal and you may get some tannin extraction from doing such a thing, but I'd just run with it. It might not be perfect, but I doubt you'll notice a huge difference.

Age helps everything!...Well, almost everything :D. I'm sure when Revvy sees this post he will dump a multitude of info pretty much saying "DONT DUMP YOUR BEER!!!"

You'll be fine. Charlie Papazian in the "Joy of Homebrewing" suggests boiling grains. The book is a bit out of date (and you will extract tannins at temps above 185 F) but I am very sure the author was making good beer at the time he wrote it. To quote Charlie:
RDWHAHB

The whole reason people have aged red wines for centuries is because over time, the tannins separate from suspension and settle to the bottom. The same can be said for your husk tannins.

In wines tannins balance alcohol and residual sugar, and give body and complexity. Perhapses this might be something to explore in beers that are to age for an extended time. Hmmmm....

Although there are several types of tannins present in wine, generally skin tannins and stem/seed tannins, the later of which are much more undesirable. My guess would be that husk tannins would fall into this camp, although I was also wondering if you could make a malty brew that would use tannins as a backbone for structure.

Back