Sterilizing freshly emptied bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentronix

Reaction score
For my bottles I have picked up some cheap plastic 'fizzy pop' style bottles new which currently contain carbonated water. Given that I will be pouring them down the sink, quick rinse and filling directly with my brew, do I really need to sterilize them ?

I assume they would already have been sterilized before the water went in and nothing in between then and now would require them to be re-sterilized ?

I don't think you'd have to in this case as long as you don't drink out of them. Some people will tell you you should sanitize them anyways, but if it were me I'd just empty em and screw the tops back on.

cool, I will empty, rinse and fill each one at a time to limit any time that air is in them.

Obviously next time round I will sterilize them although hopefully I will have got through some beer bottles by then.

Anyone got a good use for 40 pints of fizzy water :) Seems a waste pouring it away. Although its only 17pence for each 2 litre bottle.

The founder of StarSan seems to believe that really good cleaning is enough. I'd just be sure to give them a very good rinsing. I'd probably use hot water, myself.

Latest posts

Back