I know nothing about making soda!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylo_k2008

Reaction score
Hello
So I just started my kegorator project and I want to do corny kegs in it filled with soda. The problem is I know nothing about making soda, how to force carbonate it, and how long soda stays drinkable after it is made, pretty much nothing! Can someone help me on this topic as I am a complete beginner.

Thanks

That surprising helped alot. Thanks! Any idea on how long soda stays good under pressure? Does it go bad?

Also, I had massive problems keeping my soda at 35 PSI. I found that 25PSI at 37 degrees F serves much better. At 35 PSI and 37 degrees it was way overcarbonated and would come out too fast. This would knock all the bubbles out of solution and I'd end up with flat soda.

35 PSI is probably good for force carbonation, but turn it down to serve. Also, you will need to serve from a 3/16" ID line that is 20 to 30 feet long to reduce the flow rate. Otherwise your soda will shoot out like its coming out of a fire hose.

Really!!? Wow never heard that before. Thats a good thing to know! What are some good extracts? Is there a certain kind (company) that is just better then any others or is it just a trial and error game until you find the perfect one?

Hi Tylo! There are many different kinds of extracts to use, if you like that soft of thing. There are many different types of people around these boards and the opinions vary just as much as they do. I personally like Royal Root Beer Extract (comes in a nice little glass bottle) if i'm using an extract to brew. The different extracts all have different flavours and its going to take time and testing to figure out which one you like the best.

Interestingly enough the flavor will even change if you use carbonation with CO2 vs Carbonating with Yeast (fermenting).

Good luck and happy teseting.

Back