Is this drill mixer food safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
I decided to try and use a drill mounted paint mixer to get a whirlpool going in my freshly boiled wort. I went to Home Depot and then to Lowe's and bought one at each place because I couldn't decide. I am now worried that neither of them are going to be good for my purpose. The Home Depot one
100202_front200.jpg

has a chrome shaft and a hard plastic mixing head. The Lowe's one
010306026246lg.jpg

is welded steel and seems like it would get a better whirlpool going.
I'd planned to toss the mixer into the last 10 of the boil with my IC to sanitize it but I worry the 1st one might melt in the heat but I worry the 2nd one is made of food safe materials. What do you guys think?

I'd go with the plastic unless the metal one is stainless. The metal one will likely rust after a while if its not stainless. I doubt the plastic one will melt. You shouldn't be whirlpooling hot wort anyway.

You shouldn't be whirlpooling hot wort anyway.
I hadn't planned on whirlpooling the hot wort but I was going to boil it with my IC to sanitize it. I suppose I could just spray it with StarSan like I do all my other brewing equipment. Is the chrome plating on the shaft of that one going to hold up after a while. Also, is there any chance that the plastic head on that one could leech some nasty chemicals into my wort. There are so many unknowns...

Back