Where to cut this style keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memorex88

Reaction score
I am starting to make my electric Keggle and came across a 15.5 Gallon keg but not the usual style I see most people have.
This left me wondering where I should make the cut.

In the picture below, the options I see is A, B, C or least favorite D.
The reason I don't like D is 2 fold.
1, I think it's going to be a challenge to cut with the cutting disk jamming/breaking.
2, The lip will trap some steam and condensation drops will fall back in the wort, don't like that idea.

If anyone has a similar keggle and can post a picture, that would be great!

Keg1.jpg

Don't you want to leave enough of a ring at the top so that the keg holds it's shape? I believe that's why everyone leaves a 2-3" lip around the opening when cutting a sanke keg.

Don't you want to leave enough of a ring at the top so that the keg holds it's shape? I believe that's why everyone leaves a 2-3" lip around the opening when cutting a sanke keg.

I think people leave the lip on because with the other style of keg, you can't get close to the edge because of the stand/handles that is in the way. That's what I think at least. Like my7.5 gal brew pot, there is no lip.

I saw one of those kegs in use at a crab boil; it was cut between A & B, with handles bolted to the sides about 2" below the top.

I saw one of those kegs in use at a crab boil; it was cut between A & B, with handles bolted to the sides about 2" below the top.

Here's the whole keg. It's in pretty good shape and once the element and ball-valve are installed, a good polishing should make it look great!

DPP_0800.jpg

Personally, I'd go with D. I would want to have a nice rolled edge on top. I think it would make handling and cleaning easier instead of always having to grab a sharp edge with your hand. You could also drill some pilot holes to allow liquids to drain when tipped upside down instead of being caught by the lip.

Back