Ginger beer yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotN

Reaction score
I'm looking into making a ginger beer. I think I have a reasonable idea for most of the process, but I've gotten hung up on yeast. I've found a couple mentions out there of using champagne yeast, but that instinctively feels like the wrong answer to me. I'm not trying to make a soda and would like to retain at least a little bit of a beer characteristic to the brew. Anyone have any suggestions on yeasts that may be good choices for a ginger beer?

Good call on not using the champaign yeast...when I made mine I used champaign and it ate through too much of the sugars. I was left with a pretty non-robust flavor. I dryhopped with ginger to bring some back but still could've been better. However, at around 10% abv it was great with a splash of pineapple juice.

Yeah, so far I think an American Ale yeast seems to make the most sense. Hopefully it will lend its versatility to ginger too.

Back