airlock refill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunjester

Reaction score
I am extremely new to brewing anything. I recently saw something about Mead and realized it was super cheap to make (at least a ghettofied version) so I went to my local brew store (Home Brew Mart) and bought and airlock and cork (rubber stopper).

I boiled, pitched the yeast, installed the airlock... The next day the airlock water level was lower. I know it's not dripping into it but maybe it evaporated that quickly? Should I refill it to the fill line?

(it's a carboy)

sf9j0i.jpg

+1 on re-filling

You're really better off using some kind of sanitizer like starsan or even vodka in the airlock instead of water.

Your water may have been sucked back into the carboy by a temp change and "contraction" of the contents which is one reason sanitized filler is preferred.

btw... welcome to HBT

I want to try and do some "experimental" meads with different types of sugars or maybe darker style honeys. I will use vodka or maybe some everclear next time in the airlock.

I'm also in the process of reading all the awesome info you guys have here.

the honey is expensive...

Starsan is great in airlocks. I keep a spray bottle of starsan to use for sanitizing things and when my airlocks get low I just pop the cap, give it a couple squirts to top it up and we're good. And if the starsan gets sucked into the fermenter, it just serves as yeast food in that low of concentrations.

A neat trick I have already learned is just wetting a paper towel and squeezing it over the carboy instead of trying to pour into it. ha. Temperature is quite critical yes? My bottle shouldn't feel cold should it?

My girl keeps telling me to stop worrying, that it's my first batch and it won't be perfect lol

Starsan is great in airlocks. I keep a spray bottle of starsan to use for sanitizing things and when my airlocks get low I just pop the cap, give it a couple squirts to top it up and we're good. And if the starsan gets sucked into the fermenter, it just serves as yeast food in that low of concentrations.

I do the same.

I buy 2.5 gallon jugs of distilled water to mix with Starsan for use in spray bottles. It lasts forever when made with distilled water (well, maybe not forever, but I check it with PH strips and have never had a problem) Just pop the top, add some Starsan and put the top back on. I keep 2 or 3 spray bottles sitting around and spray everything insight on brew/racking/kegging/bottling days.

A neat trick I have already learned is just wetting a paper towel and squeezing it over the carboy instead of trying to pour into it. ha. Temperature is quite critical yes? My bottle shouldn't feel cold should it?

My girl keeps telling me to stop worrying, that it's my first batch and it won't be perfect lol

Temperature will depend on the yeast you use. If you still have the empty pack, it should have the preferred temperature range on it. It should probably feel cool to the touch, around mid 60's or so. Best to try to keep the temp consistent.

I use cheap vodka, and I'm glad I do because I have had fruit flies get into the airlock, as they are attracted to the fruit smelling gas released. However, vodka evaporates faster than water does with all that air being pushed though it, so I have to refill it more. Nice thing about vodka is that you don't have it mix it up or anything - just grab the bottle and pour.

Latest posts

Back