Gelatin - primary or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I want to fine (sp?) my Pale Ale once its done. I'm thinking it'd be better to do in primary so the proteins and stuff aren't in my keg. Or would the keg be better?

Soulive said:
You do neither? ;)
That is what I'd pick given the two choices you gave.
Maybe my answer was lost in the translation.

I leave it on primary until it clears.
I use Irish moss in the kettle.

I have never used finings. If I need a quick brew I'll Brew darker or not worry about 100% clarity.
I also like to ferment cooler if possible.

Thanks. I fermented around 64F and was planning on fining after 10-14 days, in lieu of crash cooling. If you say to add the gelatin to primary, that's what I'll plan on doing...:mug:

Soulive said:
That's what I figured. Fining eliminates the need for crash cooling as well, correct?

Not quite. You actually want to crash the beer before you add finnings. The idea is to create chill haze so the fining agent can take it out.

Kai

Kaiser said:
Not quite. You actually want to crash the beer before you add finnings. The idea is to create chill haze so the fining agent can take it out.

Kai

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks :mug:

C.
Since you'll have to stir the gelatin in to be effective, you really should rack it to another container and get it off the existing trub. Once it's clear, move it to the keg. It's another step, but necessary.

Back