Beer in Cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cans are superior to bottles. Less air permeable than bottles and definitely less light permeable. Most of the "metal taste" associated with beer in cans is because people drink the beer out of the can. I believe the initial cost of canning lines are higher than bottling lines.

My issue with cans is that proponents always mention how they can go places other beer can't. Parks, the beach, backpacking, etc. But when I have to drink directly from the can (which I would in most of those situations), I absolutely abhor the way the can tastes. I know the beer tastes fine when I pour it into a glass, but I can taste the can itself and it's disgusting to me.

The funny thing is that with a mild beer like your basic Bud or Coors (which I'll have to drink from cans depending on whose barbecue I'm at) the can doesn't seem to make it any worse (which would be difficult, anyway). But with something more flavorful, like 21st Amendment's IPA, the change is painful.

My issue with cans is that proponents always mention how they can go places other beer can't. Parks, the beach, backpacking, etc. But when I have to drink directly from the can (which I would in most of those situations), I absolutely abhor the way the can tastes. I know the beer tastes fine when I pour it into a glass, but I can taste the can itself and it's disgusting to me.

The funny thing is that with a mild beer like your basic Bud or Coors (which I'll have to drink from cans depending on whose barbecue I'm at) the can doesn't seem to make it any worse (which would be difficult, anyway). But with something more flavorful, like 21st Amendment's IPA, the change is painful.

Bring a Dixie cup.

+1 to that, I recently went camping with some friends and brought along a keg. Pint glasses were impractical, but "keg cups" worked just fine. Maybe not as nice to drink out of as glass, but better than drinking Bud outta cans!

Theyre not passing that discount onto the consumers. All the craft beer Ive been able to find in cans has been more expensive than bottled beer.

doctorRobert said:
Theyre not passing that discount onto the consumers. All the craft beer Ive been able to find in cans has been more expensive than bottled beer.

Cans generally are. At least around here, they've got a larger volume.

You shouldn't be drinking most craft beer out of the bottle anyway.

SWMBO bought these glasses for when we go camping - work great for homebrew/craft brews. I've tried a few Maui's and 21st amendment, both were good and I poured both into a glass.

One other big cost savings for brewers using cans is shipping - they pack more densely and weigh less...

good "glasses"

Edit: Don't put them in the dishwasher unless you like Salvador Dali looking glasses

I have never, nor I think I ever will, seen a craft beer in a can.

Say what? One of my favorites.

thumb.jpg

you afraid of a little yeast? :D
If its bottled, I'll usually drink it from the bottle. Though when I have my favorite stein handy, it goes into that.

Nope not at all. Yeast isn't part of the preferred way to serve most beers.

Back