no head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ratdog

Reaction score
let me say its only my 2nd batch ever. im a newbie.
brewers best oatmeal stout kit.

i bottled it with 2/3 cup of corn sugar. its been 2 and a half weeks in bottles.
can hear carbonation when i pop the cap but theres no head.
basement conditioning temp was 64

too low???

its not the glass im drinking out of cuz other beers (sam adams) are fine

should i condition at higher temp?

my next batch (roasted ale, my own creation. no more kits) will be goin to bottles this weekend.

70 degrees ambient is optimal for bottles, but 64 isn't going to cause them not to carb, it may just be a little slower. Obviously you're getting some carbination if you heard the hiss. I'd just leave them a few more weeks or move them somewhere warmer if you can.

i thought this was going to be a rant about married life :)....

I had the same problem with my first few batches. My apartment is never warmer than mid 60's. i found that weighing my sugar for bottling vs just using the 2/3 cup rule and allowing 4+ weeks for carbing solved my low carbination problems.

also if you let them sit in the fridge for a few days before drinking them that helps too. i think it allows more time for the CO2 to disolve in to the beer.

-low carbonation...?

-what was your grain bill & mash temps ?

-Did you add a grain that improves head retention like crystal malt?

-a protein rest during mash can also reduce head retention?

are your glasses beer clean?

as in, not right out of the dishwasher? scour them with hot water and make sure there's no soap scum on the glass. (that's advice that I got from somewhere here, and it worked for me)

Back