bitterness and hopped extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
This is my first "real" post outside of introductions, and it's about my second ever batch of beer. I'm going to be brewing here real soon. I'm trying to make a wheat beer with a can of Morgan's Golden Sheaf Wheat Beer hopped LME. Here's the basic plan:

1.7 kgs (3.75lbs) Morgan's Golden Sheaf Wheat Beer hopped LME
1 Kg (about 2.2lbs) light DME
.5 Kg (about 1.1 lbs) honey

I'm also planning on adding some cinnamon, ginger, orange peel, and cloves in a strainer at about T-15.

NOW...I thought I had a pretty good recipe. I was working with the beer recipator (http://www.hbd.org/recipator/) trying to get all the bitterness, OG, etc just right, when I suddenly realize that I'm working with HOPPED LME (I'm a beginner, so these things don't come to me instantly) I check the Morgan's web site and find that the kit alone, "used as directed (i.e. not boiled, as a 6 gallon recipe with 2.2lbs "whatever" other kind of sugar or malt extract) has 20 IBUs. According to the Beer Recipator, a typical Weiss beer (which is what the Morgan's kit claims to be) should be between 10-15 IBUs. My worry is that if I use any bittering hops, the beer will turn out too bitter. I am trying to make this beer a bit on the sweet side, as I plan to share it with a few friends who don't like bitter beer.

I have Hallertauer and Tettnanger hops, I was planning (before I realized that this was a hopped kit) to add:

3/4 oz hallertauer at T-45
1/2 oz Tettnanger at T-10 (or maybe T-5) for flavor
1/4 Hallertauer at flameout for aroma

...the final calculation from the beer recipator show an estimated 1.054 OG and 12 IBU's (like I said, I'm trying to make this one sweet) but now, because of the already high 20 IBU content of the extract kit, I am kind of worried.

So what should I do? I've heard that boiling hopped extract tends to take away from the hop flavor, but not so much the bitterness. Should I continue as planned? Does anyone have any advice as to what they would do if they were in my shoes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to make my Korean friends a sweet, refreshing beer like they've never tasted before. Anyway, if you have any thoughts, comments, tips, etc, please let me know! :)
Peace,
Wes

Don't add any bittering hops & limit your boil to 10 minutes. The flavor & aroma adds won't make much difference in the IBU. Also, very few people can tell the difference between 10 IBU and 20 IBU, much less 15 & 20.

Thanks for the reply :) I'll take your advice, no bittering hops and only a 10 minute boil.

Back