Looking for San Francisco recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalko

Reaction score
Wife & I will be in SF area in may for few days vacation. Looking for general recommendations of pubs, inns, b&b's etc. Prefer a hotel with a good pub/lounge/bar that makes it nice to end a day adventuring unwinding in the pub. Are there such places in N. California / San Francisco area!? Best I have found is James Bay Inn in Victoria, BC if you are familiar with that.

Also looking for recommendations for homebrew stores, microbrews, and just general "must see" places in the area (not necessarily beer related).

Cheers!

I'm still on my first cup of coffee so this won't be that complete but....
Full disclaimer: I live in Oakland.

in SF

21st Amendment brewery

Toronado pub
Toronado Draught Beer List

Anchor Steam brewery. People rave about the hour long tour, which I've yet to do.

The Thirsty Bear brewery and tapas restaurant. It's in downtown, near the SFMOMA and Yerba Buena Gardens, and on Sunday nights has free flamenco shows.

Beach Chalet brewery. Never been but it's at the end of Golden Gate park and looks out over the pacific.

Magnolia Brewery, restaurant pub, on Haight street. Heart of the Haight /Asbury area.

I like the fish and chips at the Irish Bank. In between downtown and the edge of China Town. Hard to find.

Cross the bridge to the East Bay

Barclay's pub (30 taps)
Barclays College Avenue - Today's Beer List

The Trappist, downtown oakland, hundreds of bottles
The Trappist, Belgian & Specialty Beer

Trumer Pils in Berkeley

Jupiter's, beer garden with great wood fired pizzas serving Triple Rock brews

If you are driving around the bay area, as in an hour or two of driving:

Russian River brewery in Santa Rosa, home of Pliny, which many would consider worth the hour and a half drive, though you can get it at local pubs too.

Half Moon Bay brewery in, you guessed it, Half Moon Bay. Try the poke tuna and a pint, outside looking at the bay, then go to KetchJoanne's for dinner, which is the locals' seafood.
For an overnight in HMB, call on a thursday, or reserve ahead to get a "private room" at the Montara Lighthouse hostel. $65, basic nice room, in a lighthouse, on the cliff. The "dorm rooms" are what they sound like.
Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel - Welcome to the Point Montara Lighthouse Hostel

Bear Republic Brewery in Healdsburg

Lagunitas in Petaluma

non beer related stuff in SF
House of Nan King, chinese food, get the sesame chicken
...uhm.... guess I can't think of any more non-beer related items right now.

The new California Academy of sciences is getting great reviews. Go early in the day so you can get tickets to the planetarium, which sells out everyday by about 11:30am. I still haven't made it in. The Tea Garden near by in GG Park is also a nice place.

Bring walking shoes. And you'll find lots of cool stuff, around any of those places I just listed.

All I can say is check out Tommy's Joint when you're out there. Me and and fiance went to SF a year ago and practically ate at that place every night. Great food, great prices, and awesome people. It's a local favorite supposidly and is always packed. Cafeteria style food and really good drink prices. Have fun out there! Love the city and can't wait to go back!

I forgot. If you want a steak dinner $$$, go to Izzy's. Izzy's Steaks and Chops - Home

Tommy's Joint is definitely an experience worth having.

...Hell. Come to my place... My big beer just carbonated. 10.4%! I'm so proud... and will soon be drunk.

Also in East Bay, Pacific Coast Brewery. Excellent beers and great place.

Yelp.com is a pretty good source to find user reviewed places. Since you originally asked about b&bs you might find lots of stuff on that site.

Cheers -

Latest posts

Back