What is this and why? n00b question. [pics]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganm

Reaction score
Hello,

Just finished a batch of Hoegaarden Wit and wondering what this is and why it happens. It's like a coagulation of some sort, but I have no clue if it's normal and why... Notice the cloudy layer about 6 inches up off the bottom of the carboy? it goes away, but what is it? is it normal? Thanks in advance.

10 minutes after pitching yeast:
hoegaarden_wit_1.jpg

30 minutes after pitching yeast:
hoegaarden_wit_2.jpg

nice. thanks guys. i can always count on this place to get an answer quickly.

cheers@!

I have a picture, close up of the protein settle, about an hour after pitching, that I have as my desktop. It looks real cool close up and in high resolution.

Just wait till the yeast go full worh, churning that stuff up like crazy. When that happens I suggest backlighting the carboy, truning off all other lights, maybe out on some trippy ambient music or grateful dead and stare at it for hours. :D

Kinda disapointed myself. My 15g carboys are plastic and not see through. :(

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Just wait till the yeast go full worh, churning that stuff up like crazy. When that happens I suggest backlighting the carboy, truning off all other lights, maybe out on some trippy ambient music or grateful dead and stare at it for hours. :D

I got my laptop setup already waiting for morning so i can turn on the time lapse at 10sec frames. I will post the fermentation video once it's finished.

woot! :ban:

solidghost said:
I had thought that light will skunk the beer?

I think he was kidding about watching it for hours. It is amazing to watch under full fermentation, I had to wrap my carboy in black plastic to prevent me from going down 5 times a day to just take a peek. :D

+1

the yeast lava lamp is very cool
too bad fermentation only lasts 3 or 4 days

They are evil demons that have come to steal your soul!!!

RDHAHB

I always knew fermentation created a portal to the dark side in which demons were able to pass through into our realm and steal souls but no one would believe me.

BTW, relax don't have a home brew? That doesn't sound very fun. :cross:

Oh well, maybe i'll film the next one.

Anyhow, 20 hours later it's looking healthy....
20hourslater.jpg
:mug:

Yeah...something's definitely wrong here. The only proper course of action is to brew another batch to make up for the deficit. It's the right thing to do. Think of the children.

You forgot the part where you load up the hookah with some kind hops, like Fuggle or Cascade, and smoke a few bowls.

Latest posts

Back