beer is clear but sharp to taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nortang

Reaction score
I am new to the beer brewing, the first one I have brewed is a Victorian bitter, after second fermentation its cleared lovely but the taste is quite sharp and seems almost fizzy has it gone wrong???? Please help

Sharp? As in too bitter? Fizzy, as in too carbonated?

How long has this beer been in the bottle?
How did you prime and how much sugar?
What size batch?
What were your hop additions and types used?

Perhaps nothing is wrong but we need more info.........

Hi, yes to bitter but does not taste off and yes over carbonated, it has been about 3 weeks since first fermentation. I am not sure if I am over keen to drink.

It's in a keg now as I was told if its in a keg bitter keeps better but I don't really know. 5 gallons in total. 1kg sugar then added another 100g for second fermentation.

Nortang said:
Hi, yes to bitter but does not taste off and yes over carbonated, it has been about 3 weeks since first fermentation. I am not sure if I am over keen to drink.

It's in a keg now as I was told if its in a keg bitter keeps better but I don't really know. 5 gallons in total. 1kg sugar then added another 100g for second fermentation.

At only 3 weeks the beer is just young and perhaps the CO 2 is not fully absorbed so you are getting some bite. Give it another week or two and should improve greatly!

Thanks for your input, as with anything new you feel your doing something wrong until you gane experience, I read on here a short time ago a good rule of thumb is
2-2-2 I guess this means 2 weeks at each stage, is that correct?

Even kegged beer needs to mature for a couple weeks under a lil pressure. To much carbonation produces carbonic acid,which has that sharp bite. Got that in PET bottles once at 7 weeks in. Also,make sure the beer has had edaquate time to clean up & clear in primary before racking. That usually takes care of some of that greeness.

Ok I will, sorry to sound such a novice but what do you mean by racking?

Using tubing to transfer from primary to another vessel. I rig my tubing to the spigots on my primarys,others need an autosiphon to achieve this.

When did you add the kilo of sugar? That's 2.2 pounds of sugar.

It was a home brew pack, I really wanted to do it from scratch but the fellow in the store advised me to use a pack to get myself into the homebrew experience. I now feel it was a good idea as there is loads to learn. It said to add that amount if sugar.

Back