Kolsch bittering hops choice Magnum vs. Noble Type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Cost isn't really an issue, an extra few bucks isn't going to kill me on this recipe but being such a light, simple beer I'm unsure about vegetal flavors from having almost 1/3lb of noble hops in something that's 95% Pilsner malt with very low flavorings/aroma hopping to hide any of these possible flavors.

I'm stuck on this part of my recipe and I can't decide between which route I should go. It's an 11 gallon batch so using the hops I have access to I would either need 4oz just for the 60 minute addition just to hit 25IBUs and a small pinch at 30ish for some flavor. Or do I save these and use .8oz of Magnum for the same bitterness?

Another option is to do a double brew day and a side by side between the two beers but then I will have a very long brew day with the 90 minute boils back to back.

I wouldn't be worried about using lots of low AA noble types either. Made a top fermented then kept cool to condition brew with loads of saaz to take advantage of the weather over the winter. Tastes really good. Used 4 or 5 oz of saaz to bitter, plus a bit of bobek later on.

S'pose it must've been how they did it before high AA hops were invented anyway.

I wouldn't be worried about using lots of low AA noble types either. Made a top fermented then kept cool to condition brew with loads of saaz to take advantage of the weather over the winter. Tastes really good. Used 4 or 5 oz of saaz to bitter, plus a bit of bobek later on.

S'pose it must've been how they did it before high AA hops were invented anyway.

Good enough for me. I'll save the magnum for the next pale ale.

Back