45 minute extract boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopvine

Reaction score
If my first hop addition is scheduled for 45 minutes, and I'm brewing with DME (and specialty grains), is there any reason I have to boil for the full 60 minutes? I can't figure out why that would be important, but wanted to double check.

you would normally boil for 60 mins to extract all the bitterness out of the hops. If you are using hopped extract then this may not be nessesary.

If my first hop addition is scheduled for 45 minutes, and I'm brewing with DME (and specialty grains), is there any reason I have to boil for the full 60 minutes? I can't figure out why that would be important, but wanted to double check.

If the first hop addition is 45mins, then boil 45mins. There is no reason to do more than say 5min boil with extract except for the hops.

I'd just boil for 45 minutes. This will cut down on caramelization. I've even done a couple 30 min. brews that turned out great.

Latest posts

Back