Gusher!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theciderkid

Reaction score
Well I messed up and waited too long to pasteurize and I opened one today and it foamed up, and rolled down the outside of the bottle. So besides just throwing them in the fridge, any other options?

I have noticed that if you put overcarbonated brews in the freezer until they are right above freezing (very small ice crystals at the neck of the bottle, even), the gushing is less prevalent. good luck.

Ok I'll try that right now, so will this batch of cider just have to live in the fridge/freezer until I drink it all or is there some way to store in my cellar, I like to age out 6ish months and its taking up quite a bit of space in the fridge right now

Wish I had seen this thread yesterday. Just got rid of five bottles. They weren't just gushers they were fountains! Opened up what was supposed to have been a STILL apple/blackberry cider and destroyed half my kitchen, part of the hallway and living room. Oops:) Out of 3 500ml, and 2 22oz bottles I got 2 pints worth of cider. Oh and for the last four bottles I was smart enough to open outside:)

Yeah I thought ahead when I started brewing and took a small room in my house with hard wood and sealed it very well, put three coats on the walls and ceiling and caulked around all the wood work and anywhere liquid would have been able to travel through

Well I messed up and waited too long to pasteurize and I opened one today and it foamed up, and rolled down the outside of the bottle. So besides just throwing them in the fridge, any other options?

Pop all of them open really prime and fill coke bottle let site out till bottle is hard then open one and test. If you like it pasteurize

I like the raspberry ones, though I can't figure out why they are blue... Oh wait, this thread isn't about liquid filled fruit snacks is it?

Yeah, open into a big pitcher or something. Check the gravity, and if it's actually dry now, reprime and rebottle.

Back