Yeast starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbankert

Reaction score
I made my first yeast starter on my last batch and it worked great, but have a couple of questions.
I have yeast coming today, and plan on brewing tomorrow, it is worth making a starter for only 12-18 hours? My last starter I let go for a couple of days, so I'm not sure if making a starter for this short of period is necessary.

Also, how long will a starter last? After it ferments for a couple of days, will it last if I put it in the refrigerator, or will the yeast just die?

Any info would be great.
Thanks

12 to 18 hours is fine. The yeast may be still active but that isn't a problem at all. When you cool the starter down the yeast go dormant but do not die. Don't freeze them though. What kind of beer you making?

thanks for the info

I'm making a german altbier- the 4th one that i've made out of the last 6 batches. trying to replicate Long Trail, so I've been adjusting the recipe here and there trying to get it right. this will be the first time i've used a starter with this style though

rbankert said:
thanks for the info

I'm making a german altbier- the 4th one that i've made out of the last 6 batches. trying to replicate Long Trail, so I've been adjusting the recipe here and there trying to get it right. this will be the first time i've used a starter with this style though

Cool, if you are making same beer and over you can try save your yeast to save some $$ see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41768

I agree, it never hurts to make a starter even if it is only 12-18 hours in advance of pitching. I also routinely make starters the week before I brew (because I travel all week for work) and just have my wife pop them in the fridge once they ferment out. On brew day all I do is warm them up, decant the liquid, and pitch the yeast; it works great!

Latest posts

Back