Hops are Hardy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toymaker

Arrgh!
Reaction score
One of my co workers wives has some Perle hops growing in buried 20 gal. plastic storage bins. Well they've escaped:D lol
The storage bin's cracked and the Hops have spread out into their lawn. This year when they started to sprout bines, She decided to get out a shovel and turn into a human rototiller and rip out all the roots in the grass. She did this with great efficiency, and put them in a 5 gallon bucket for the trash. So my co worker asked if I was interested in the scraps. Hell yea!

I sorted through the bucket of dirt/grass/hop roots and found about 12 possibly viable rhizomes. Unfortunately they had dried out sitting in their garage for a few days in the bucket. I planted them in a couple of pots last years flower pots. They had some nice potting soil along with some good partially decomposed flower roots. Well they've been in there for two weeks and starting to sprout some shoots!!! I'm going to plant them along my back fence shortly.
smallpothops.jpg

largepothops.jpg

Ha that is awesome! What a lucky break!

And yeah, life usually finds a way :D

Update: All the the free hops are still growing some better than others. because they were free I planted some in less than ideal locations. Mainly because I ran out of good spots in my little yard. They vary in height from 18" to 10'.

Back