Crazy Old Ale/Wee Heavy Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird400

Reaction score
Hello.
I have been looking at a bunch of Old Ale/Wee Heavy recipes lately and want to make one for my self.

I have a lot of different grain on hand and want to make this one super complex, just because I can and hopefully it will make for a more complex tasting beer.

This is what I have so far.
(AG)
11 lbs. Pale Malt
1.21 lbs. Munich Light
0.66 lbs. CaraHell
0.66 lbs. Crystal 30 (CaraMunich II)
0.66 lbs. Crystal 60 (CaraMunich III)
0.33 lbs. Black Patent (Carafa III)
??? lbs. CaraPils (Dextrine)
??? lbs. CaraBelge

I also have on hand
CaraMunich I
Malted Rye

And can get my hands on just about any grain you might suggest.
I will most likely need to go and get me some hops anyway.

I am thinking about adding Roasted Barley and want it to end up at around SRM 19

The thing is that I have never used CaraBelge and want to use it to get some caramel flavor and CaraPils for some sweetness.
I want this to be a heavy, slightly sweet high ABV ale that I am going to age for some time, perhaps even till christmas/new year.

I need to start putting down the hop profile but I want it to be around IBU 40-45 and really want to nail the malt/sweetness to work with that.

I am a bit of a newbie at recipe making but have plenty of enthusiasm and want to learn, so please point me in the right direction.

Yeah and it is for a 7.4 gal. batch
I might increase German Munich if I think I won´t reach my target gravity, have so much of it.

Back