Scorch marks in Stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gombay77

Reaction score
I'm helping buddy get back into brewing and I noticed his stainless brew pots have scorch marks on the bottoms. (probably why his previous beers didn't turn out:D ) Does anyone know how to get rid of these or does it even matter?

stainless steel grill cleaner, let it soak in and then rinse it good. i think its toxic but it works

Cascade dishwasher detergent and a good overnight soak. It's cheap, it's easy and you probly already have it. It's essentialy caustic soda. It's a bit watered down hence the overnight soak. People swear by oxi-clean. there was a huge thread on it so I bought some. Soaked my wallet too! Dosn't clean quite as well as I had hoped(though it does a decent job). Something that I find funny is people are afraid that cascade dishwasher detergent might kill head retention. It was designed to break up food particles, be it oils or oatmeal, and rinse completely in about an hour in a dishwasher. I ask you this to those people. You ever have head retention problems with your beer glasses that have been run through a dishwasher? Besides between all the rinsing done to carboys and such, THEN sanitizing them(rinsing them again basicly) there will be nothing of it left. Try it. If for some reason it dosn't take it all off by morning use a scotch brite pad. Won't take too much elbow grease. Just my 2cp! :rockin:

lackofstyl said:
Soak in PBW overnight .. scrub and rince

Ditto. PBW all the way. Sprinkle some in the bottom of the vessel, add a quart or 2 of hot water, and let it sit overnight. Works like a charm.

BTW, DO NOT use brillo or any kind of metal scouring pad. Your vessel will rust.

ScubaSteve said:
BTW, DO NOT use brillo or any kind of metal scouring pad. Your vessel will rust.

SOS pads are a bad idea for sure. But what about copper or SS scrubbies? I'd think they would be alright.:confused:

Latest posts

Back