dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgren

Reaction score
how long should I dry hop in the secondary for? I went from the primary to the secondary after ten days and added crystal hops three days into the secondary duration. it a pale ale...and I used only about 3/4 oz of hops. The brew is fairly clear now and I think it's only a matter of figuring out when to bottle. the gravity is down to about 1.009 from 1.041. the hops are still floating on top, are they going to settle on the bottom eventially?:mug:

I dry hop mine for the last 7-10 days right before bottling. If you used whole hops they won't sink, they'll stay on top where it's easy to rack out from under them.

While the hops will filter some of the material, a paint strainer or other mesh bag is a good idea to prevent the smaller hops pieces that might end up in your keg or bottling bucket.

No longer then two weeks! If you let it go toooo long then you will start to develop grassy notes. Unless you crash cool the hops will most likely stay on top. I have a Pale ale with 2 ounces of loose leaf columbus hops crash cooling and 98% of them have settled to the bottom.

sounds like I'm going with the 10day method then. Thanks for the info everyone, it's much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back