Safale S-04 at low Temps???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Pitched Safale S-04 24 hours ago at about 60-62 and things look inactive. Added some hot water to the swamp cooler to hopefully bring it uo a couple of degrees. Am I too cold for this yeast or should I RDWHAHB!

Thanks...first time w/ this yeast. Anyone have any experience w/ S-04 at the low end like this???

Mike

Yeah, I am using it now. It should be fine at that temp. The 50s should be a bit more of a challange. You will reduce more of the fruitiness at the lower temps. I have mine in the basement right now and it is in the low sixties as well. Did you oxygenate it? I suspect it is over 1.050 and you did not give it the o2? That will increase the lag time. With 02 it should go off like a rocket. It is an aggressive eater

Fermentis (Safale producer's) has the low temperature range of the S-04 yeast at 59F (15C). Once it takes off you could probably go a bit lower (metabolic activity of the yeast will heat up the wort a bit), maybe 2F lower.

The knock on this yeast is the bubblegum flavor. Probably more pronounced at the higher temps, but I've never noticed. My Ale fermentations are usually arond 72 degrees or so...soo...RDWHAHB.

Back