Kool-Aid Wine???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I halted my beer production for a few months becasue I am finally making the move from extract to all grain brewing. I was a little bored one day and decided to experiment a little and make a Kool-Aid wine/beer. I boiled up 6lbs on Light DME and pitched some dry champagne yeast into my fermemter. It looks like its done fermenting so hopefully I can rack it into a carboy tonight. My plan was to add the kool aid into the secondary the same way i would when I make fruit flavored beer. I'm trying to decide if i should use regualr kool aid packets or possibly the powder with the sugar already added. I am also debating about bringing the wort up to 170 degrees to kill the yeast so it doesnt fermet the added sugar in the secondary.

So has anyone ever tried something like this before? Any thoughts or suggestions on the process?

I'm mainly doing this for my girlfriend and her friends. They always complain there is nothing to drink when I throw parties. I only supply home brew. I just thought this would be a fun idea before I go to all grain this weekend :mug:

You could pasturize it but then you can't make it sparkling, which is how I would want it :p

I imagine right now it is pretty thin and dry stuff, I would add sugarless koolaid unless you want to eek out all the ABV you can. You might try Lactose to sweeten or just bottle your 'malt beverage' as it is and add the koolaid as a backsweetener when poured.

My plan is to Keg it and force C02 pretty high to try and get it sparkling. I guess I am debating over kiling the yeast, add the kooliad and keg or if I should secondary and let the yeast go to work on the added sugar. I'm not too concerned about ABV right now. Just making it taste good. I'll worry about getting it over 10 ABV on the next batch :ban:

Back