Bine Propagation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
I have tried unsuccessfully the last three years to get the hops in my back yard to propagate by taking some of the smaller shoots, spreading them out and covering them lightly with soil. Of all four plants, none have taken off with new shoots.

Any thoughts/help?

Once you've got a good root/rhizome established (which, after 3 years you should), then you should split the root - not transplant shoots. One technique - get a sharp shovel and just drive through the middle of the root and dig up the half you want to relocate. There's a video on Basic Brewing (3/16/09) - though not that detailed.

I believe the best time is early spring before while the rhizome is still dormant and before any sprouts appears (I could be wrong on this).

are you digging up the shoot or snipping it off ground level? are you using a root propagator gel after you cut them?

I have reasonable success propogating from cuttings. I take a cutting about 6-10" long and on the cut end I make scratches in the stem for about the first 1/2" and then promptly dip the scratched end in rooting hormone. I then plant it in moist potting soil. Some varieties do better than others so plant 10 cuttings and at least one should take.

I know you have to take a cutting that has "nodes" or bumps. The part that doesn't is essentially root.

Back