Overheated Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Ring

Reaction score
I brewed a batch six 2 days ago, my first attempt with liquid yeast, Wyeast slap pack. The instructions on the package said to sanitize the bag. Not thinking, of course, I tossed the bag in my pot of sanitizing solution, HOT sanitizing solution. When I turned back, the bag had inflated to capacity, and I coud feel the liquid inside was hot. I ran it under cold water to cool it down and pitched it within 10 minutes. 2 days later no bubbles. I know, patience, patience, patience while waiting for fermentation, but I was wondering if anybody may have any insight to my boneheaded move. Did I kill it?

Thanks

Probably did kill it.

How hot was the solution and for how long was it in the solution?

That sucks. If you are ever not sure about the viability of your yeast (or, as in my case, if you ever use liquid yeat) do a starter. You'll increase the cell count, and you'll 'proof' the yeast (meaning you can tell if it is viable or not).

Kind of depends on how hot you are talking about. But, considering you heated them up good then crash cooled them, I would say if they did survive, you pissed them off real bad.
I would definitely think about having another smack-pack at the ready. If you haven't seen any activity at all in 48 - 72 hours, then pitch the "fresh" one. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and pitch another one if you have it just to make sure you don't give any nasties any time to establish themselves.

I'd re-pitch if nothing is going by tomorrow. Most yeast can handle 100F OK, but not much more.

For the record, most no-rinse sanitizer solutions should not be hot. For instance iodine is volatile and will evaporate pretty quickly out of hot water, leaving you with only hot water and no sanitizer left in it.

All is well ( I think). Bubbling started at the 48 hr point, though not as vigorous as dry yeast. Also the rate seemed to slow faster. krausen visible through the sides of the bucket.

I'm not using a no-rinse, B-Brite.

You would think after having gone through the sick newborn for real I'd be better at waiting!

Thanks for the info guys.

Ok so I've just taken out my raisins and strained them. Tried to take a hydrometer test but it basically just sunk to the bottom of anything I would put it in and my mead tastes like a vodka shot? After one week? 0.0 Any ideas?

Oh and I also can't taste any blackberries nor honey lol

All is well ( I think). Bubbling started at the 48 hr point, though not as vigorous as dry yeast. Also the rate seemed to slow faster. krausen visible through the sides of the bucket.

I'm not using a no-rinse, B-Brite.

You would think after having gone through the sick newborn for real I'd be better at waiting!

Thanks for the info guys.

B-Brite is not a sanitizer. It's a good cleaner, but will not sanitize.

Rick

Latest posts

Back