Beer stuck at 1.04, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
So a batch of my beer has been stuck at 1.04 for like a week, what do I do? Throw some more yeast in? Move it to another vessel?

At what temperature do you have it fermenting?

Give the fermenter a swirl (NOT a shake) to rouse the yeast back into suspension and check the gravity again in a couple days.

Room temp, belgian golden ale yeast.

I've been agitating it, fermentation slowed down like two weeks ago. It is quite stuck.

The same thing happened to my Haus Pale ale. I took my thief and stuck it in then swirled up some yeast into suspension. It turns out my parents house went down to 60 degrees a couple of times overnight. That probably did it. A week later the beer went to the final FG with no other modifications required.

I love it when people answer 'room temp'. :D The obvious response being, ok then what is the temp of the room?

If you've tried rousing the yeast then pitching another packet of dry, rehydrated yeast couldn't hurt.

Oh and what was the recipe? You may have a lot of unfermentables that aren't helping.

Yeah, we need mo' info. MO INFO! MO INFO! Recipe, fermentation temp, did you oxygenate/aerate it initially? I had a double IPA stall out around 1.040. Turns out it was actually just done.

Ok, room temp for me is 73-78F.

No, didn't bother to aerate it .

Recipe, cherry dark ale, 1 gallon.

1 kg Briess Dark Malt
12 oz cherry extract
+hops
Whitelabs Belgian golden ale yeast

for the sake of discussion, I just racked a Belgian Strong Dark Ale that had a OG of 1.103 and ended at 1.020, pitched on a yeast cake of WLP 500 and 570.

Latest posts

Back