No priming sugar, what to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernst-Haeckel

Reaction score
I have a belgian trippel that is ready to be bottled, but I just realized I forgot to order some priming sugar... ooops.

In the house I have some clear belgian candy sugar and some regular old table (corn) sugar.

I assume that the table sugar could be used in the same proportion as priming sugar (3/4 to 1 cup).

But, if I use the belgian candi, how much should I use? 4 or 5 oz?

Thanks for any input!

Do you have some DME? If so, you can 1-1/4 cups of that to prime with. It's probably the easiest substitution.

No DME, just cane sugar and candi sugar. Is candi sugar glucose or sucrose.

Thanks for the link Yankeehill, and thanks for interpreting "table sugar" to mean cane sugar, because I accidentally typed corn.

I use cane sugar on all my beers, just search that and you can see the pros and cons to it.

I use 2/3 cup of cane sugar, where as priming sugar you us about 3/4 cups. I havent notice any difference in it.

I bottle with cane sugar and have great results. Tastybrew.com has a calculator to tell you how much to use for a given carbonation.

Back