Blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettMan

Reaction score
What's the best source for blow off tubing? I went to Home Depot and picked up 4' of 1" ID / 1 1/4" OD tubing. It seemed to fit well when it was dry, but after soaking in an Iodophor bath for a while, it slipped right into the top of the carboy and didn't seem like a super-tight fit. Is that okay, or should I try something a little thicker?

Right now I'm just using 3-piece airlocks, but I'd like to figure this out...

It should be able to seal and hold pressure.

I use carboy caps and with my blowoff so I can't tell you what size to use.

It' unusual to go this long without an answer. Consider this a bump to the top.

Awhile back somebody had some photo of what you described, two carboys with hoses running to two 1-gallon jugs filled 3/4 full with water. (It was a beautiful photo.) So I think what you have will work.

Two things to note.
1.) Since its larger, much, much lager than 3/8 or 1/2 blow offs it will require considerably more built up pressure to blow the hose off. Which is very good. So its very unlikely to occurr.

2.) Since there is a lot more air in the hose and the fact that air is compressible you may have to wait longer to see if works or for that matter, leaks.

When you put it together I suppose it was wet? Let dry then see how easy it is to pull it out aftwards. The sanitizer might lube it up slightly.

If you are fermenting anything and you think its leaking you could put just a few drops of rinse-free sanitizer around the OD of the hose and watch for gas escaping by (shown with bubbles). This would NOT ruin the beer if it leaked back into the carboy if its rinse-free like One-Step and properly diluted Idophor.

Let's suppose it does leak. Get some Saran Wrap. Drop one small sheet over the top of the carboy (for protection). Then procede to wrap a couple layers around the hose, but not too many otherwise it would be too big. Remove the cover sheet and try to fit the hose into the neck. I think that would work.

I normally use a carboy cap, the one with two protrusions one for the airlock one for the blow off. Your method is a good alternative if you don't have a cap.

:mug:

If your tubing isn't tight in the neck of the carboy, use a few turns of teflon plumber's tape around the tubing until it's tight. That's what I do and it works fine.

My 1" tube doesn't seem to fit tight in my carboys (3g and 5g) when wet/sanitized either, but once it dries its always a nice tight fit and works perfectly. 1 1/4" should be just fine IMO.

I use a couple of wraps of eletrical tape around the end of my 1" tube. It's kind of rubbery so it make a good seal and its easy to adjust the fit.

Pipperkieth,

Thank you for a brilliant solution to a problem I was just sitting here thinking about. My big blow off hose doesn't fit real tight either and the teflon tape is the answer. I am reracking now, even though I am kinda lazy and would rather not, because of the parinoia of thinking about the excaping gasses slowing down and letting air born spoilage organisms in.
Thanks again, I am an old played out irrigation dude anyway,
there is teflon tape out in the barn. We used to use rector seal before teflon tape was invented, but it would taste bad used like that in the brewery.

Knife

seohiosipper said:
I use a couple of wraps of eletrical tape around the end of my 1" tube. It's kind of rubbery so it make a good seal and its easy to adjust the fit.
I tried that with my airlock only I used clear tape. The darn thing popped out leaving the tape. I said a few choice words...

Ideas...

Electrical tape is what I use to mark the levels on my carbouys,
and is cheaper than teflon tape. I would think teflon tape would keep the neck of my carbouys 'cleaner',
and worth the extra couple of bucks unless you were out,
and I am sure elec. tape would:
'git her done'.
I was worried about those blow off hoses being such a poor fit in the neck of the carbouys.

Y'all I used racking hoses as blow off hoses for years till Kelly at the 'supply' told me to use one of the 1 1/4" hoses. What is wrong with a racking hose?
Cheaper, FITS!, easier to keep clean with a brush...

I don't ever need one with Fermintis Safale 56 yeast,
but with s-04 it is mandatory.

Hmmmm

Thanks y'all.

Back