timeline question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
I have an American Cream Ale (Brewer's Best kit) that I want to have ready for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. (if it doesn't suck, 1st batch)

I racked to secondary after 7 days (because that is what the instructions said and I now know much more about all that from reading this forum)

It has been in the secondary now for 9 days. I eventually want it in a keg.

Should I rack to the keg sooner or later? ie; if I rack now I'll have 3 weeks in the keg. or I can wait another week in the secondary then have 2 weeks in the keg.

Thoughts?

Hmm.

Okay, first things first: check the gravity to see if the beer is done fermenting.

The beer is probably best left on it's yeast cake for a bit longer, just to clean up the green-beer flavors. Since you have a keg, you have the option of force carbing. So long as you can/will force carb, letting it sit on it's cake for a little longer, then force carbing it at the end is possible. It would be BETTER, however, for the beer to get at least a LITTLE bit of time cold-conditioning... maybe a week or so.

So, those are your options. I think it needs a little time on it's yeast, and a little time at serving temp to cold-condition. The decision is really up to you. :)

If it is still fermenting, though... well, that's obvious.

Happy brewing!

Back