Brewing over 2 days??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have only done 2 full AG brews before, both were successful but a change of events has left me with a question i really hope someone can answer.

We recently found out that we are expecting our third child.:ban:

The thing is the wife is very sensitive to smells to managing to keep here out of the way for an entire brewday in the kitchen is not going to happen.

My question is ( i hope really basic and someone will tell me the answer..)

can i mash and sparge on one day, then close the Fv so that it is air tight, then boil and complete the brew the following evening when she has gone to bed? Or would this have sme major affect on the quality of the finished beer?

Thanks for your help.

First of all CONGRATS ON THE KID!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly, the general answer to your question is no. It's not a good idea to seperate the mash and the boil by that much time. The boil can sanitize a good many things but some things even a 60 min boil can't cure. Some of those things REALLY like wort and if you give them a day they'll find the wort. Just think about all of the dust and crap on your grain. That's all the bacteria that's going to be going at your wort over night and the next day. Again, in general it's a bad idea. Look into sour mashing.

However, as I sit here I'm wondering if you put your wort in a keg and flushed it with CO2 and put it in a fridge if that wouldn't stave off any nasties for a day. That's about the only thing I can think of, and I doubt that would even be a great idea. I think it's your best shot.

Most of us brew outside using a burner and a kettle. Sounds like you might want to go that way in the future.

:mug:

Secondly, the general answer to your question is no. It's not a good idea to seperate the mash and the boil by that much time. The boil can sanitize a good many things but some things even a 60 min boil can't cure. Some of those things REALLY like wort and if you give them a day they'll find the wort. Just think about all of the dust and crap on your grain. That's all the bacteria that's going to be going at your wort over night and the next day. Again, in general it's a bad idea. Look into sour mashing.

However, as I sit here I'm wondering if you put your wort in a keg and flushed it with CO2 and put it in a fridge if that wouldn't stave off any nasties for a day. That's about the only thing I can think of, and I doubt that would even be a great idea. I think it's your best shot.

Most of us brew outside using a burner and a kettle. Sounds like you might want to go that way in the future.

The other option is to do it all outside but i have no access to a chiller than and would rely on natural cooling over night in a sealed Fv before moving to another place in the house and then pitching the yeast.

It also means a damn late night as i would have to wait til she had gone to bed before i could even start.

DB

what Kind of chilling method do you use? You could get a large rubbermaid container and do an ice bath and if you have a water hose I think a chiller could hook up to that or maybe a little of both to speed things up.

look into the No Chill method. Pol is using now basically you seal the hot wort in a container then when the temps drop to pitching then pitch the yeast .

cooling over night in a sealed Fv before moving to another place in the house and then pitching the yeast.
DB

That what he said...

and that is what I would do. If you heat your mash and sparge water and have it all ready to go... maybe even up your grain bills for a while and do no sparge to cut time and boil outside you should be able to cut it down to a couple hours after she goes to bed... maybe even mash in before she goes to bed. I do the same when takin care of my kid... do everything I can, then finish when I put the kiddo down for her nap.

or perfect your extract skills... that goes faster.

I disagree. I've done it with no ill effects. I've made wee heavys that call for an 11 gallon runoff that is boiled down to five gallons. The boil alone takes forever, and rather than try to fit all that into one day, I split it up. And the beer was awesome.

That what he said...

and that is what I would do. If you heat your mash and sparge water and have it all ready to go... maybe even up your grain bills for a while and do no sparge to cut time and boil outside you should be able to cut it down to a couple hours after she goes to bed... maybe even mash in before she goes to bed. I do the same when takin care of my kid... do everything I can, then finish when I put the kiddo down for her nap.

or perfect your extract skills... that goes faster.

No sparge for a 5.5 imperial gallon is kind off hefty and the mash tun is not big enough.

To do it all on one night means a very late one as if i start after she goes to bed its gonna be like 3 am or later. With the other 2 childeren around as well I have supper and stuff to take care of.

the biggest problem is that she can't even stand the smell of the washing soad at the moment so we have to change out everything to neutral and smell free. NO way is she gonna like the smell of a mash.... and this could put her off letting me brew in the kitchen for life!!!! go fugure.

The brew over 2 days looks a distinct possibility though. ust a shame it will take such a long time to brew up 25 l.

As long as i am in the kitchen i have the IC for cooling and with air temperatures at only 10 degrees at present the water is a lot colder so it will reduce heat really fast.

Thaks for the help.

Congrats. We're expecting our third on March 12th.

First. Get outside. There are so many advantages to working outside or in the garage with a high output propane burner anyway now's the perfect excuse to take the plunge. Plus, my wife would not like the smell even if she were asleep and it would still be there to her in the morning if I brewed inside.

Second. This is not a joke. Send her out to the spa for a day of pampering. You'll have a happy mommy and a few hours to brew.

Congrats. We're expecting our third on March 12th.

First. Get outside. There are so many advantages to working outside or in the garage with a high output propane burner anyway now's the perfect excuse to take the plunge. Plus, my wife would not like the smell even if she were asleep and it would still be there to her in the morning if I brewed inside.

Second. This is not a joke. Send her out to the spa for a day of pampering. You'll have a happy mommy and a few hours to brew.

Right now the chance of her going anywhere but bed is minimal!

As a rule we tend to brew in another guys cellar where he has propane burners, ventilation and everything else. The cellar is set like a brewery.

But due to her in doors being under the weather i have had to take the housework ( i guess we men do get the easy part of a pregnancy... actually the pregnancy doesn't effect us that much does it now) as othewise it would look like a cess pit. Meaning i have missed the last 3 brew days.

My inlaws demolished the best part of 20 litres tanglefoot clone at the weekend and stocks are running low. I need to get the brew on.....and at present the kitchien is really the only option.

My inlaws demolished the best part of 20 litres tanglefoot clone at the weekend and stocks are running low. I need to get the brew on.....and at present the kitchien is really the only option.

Maybe your in-laws should spend the day at your house while you brew at theirs. They did kill your keg afterall! :D

I'd still be a little wary about the "brewery smell" the morning after. I know my wife would still pick it up even without the "pregnancy nose" and she'd be none too happy about it.

If i brewed at the inlaws it would likely kill the father in law.. he has a lung illness.

The otherway of doing it is to mach and sparge indoors, then boil and hop outside the days after i guess

I love that you and so many others on here keep going with plates full of household duties and cares. That is truly the love of the hobby.

Hang in there taking care of your wife through the rest of the pregnancy. You are right, we don't have the bad end of the deal... a little housework, a little less brewing is a small price to pay!

I love that you and so many others on here keep going with plates full of household duties and cares. That is truly the love of the hobby.

Hang in there taking care of your wife through the rest of the pregnancy. You are right, we don't have the bad end of the deal... a little housework, a little less brewing is a small price to pay!

Thanks for that.

Well i finished and it would appear no harm was done leaviung it over night.

Much of the trub in suspension fell out into the Fv and in future ( if i have to) i'll increase the amount by a liter or two in order to be able to throw the trub away.

I also managed to get the most fantastic cold break on cooling .

The beer finished fermenting out in 4 days and looks great. kegging awaits in a few days

Latest posts

Back