It used to taste good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I brewed and kegged an IIPA. I left it in the primary for 3 weeks and in the secondary for 2. Kegged it, and carbed it by setting it at my serving pressure for about 9 days before trying it. The first few pints I pulled tasted delicious, exactly what I was hoping for. A week went by before drinking any again. The next pint I pulled had an extremely strong yeast flavor and smell, which I assume is just yeast that settled from one week to the next, but there is a harsh hot alcohol taste that wasn't present before. Wondering what happened, anybody have any clues?

My honest guess, is that your palate got used to the high hops after a few glasses, and you finally tasted some fusels that were there all along, but hidden in those first few hoppy explosions in your mouth.

not sure how it would have oxidized. I guess my palate could have got used to a lot of hops but I usually drink ridiculously hopped beers.

another thought might be the kegerator getting hot somehow?

I brewed and kegged an IIPA. I left it in the primary for 3 weeks and in the secondary for 2. Kegged it, and carbed it by setting it at my serving pressure for about 9 days before trying it. The first few pints I pulled tasted delicious, exactly what I was hoping for. A week went by before drinking any again. The next pint I pulled had an extremely strong yeast flavor and smell, which I assume is just yeast that settled from one week to the next, but there is a harsh hot alcohol taste that wasn't present before. Wondering what happened, anybody have any clues?

Sounds like you oxidized your beer. Did you blanket the beer when you transferred to keg?

Back