Belgian Yeast Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I currently have 3 house yeasts on hand that I use to brew all of my beers. THey are all washed from previous, low gravity, highly attenuative fermentations so that I know I have good yeast:

White Labs German Ale/Kolsch
US-05 or the west coast ale strain
nottingham english ale yeast

I find that i can brew a variety of styles including lager like beverages with this selection. However...one thing is missing. A good belgian yeast.

I have heard great things about WLP500. I am looking for a yeast that I can dual purpose. I want to brew a high gravity tripel....but I also want to brew some lower gravity, more earthy tasting..fat tirish thingers.......what would be a good yeast? I wish I had some brewers around here so I could trade yeast!

My favorite belgian yeast is Ardennes from wyeast. I'm not sure how well it would do in a lighter beer though. I've been using it for the past few months after switching over from Wyeast Abby.

I like WLP500 and WLP530, but they're both heavy on the fruitiness. I don't think they would work for a Fat Tire clone.

I prefer the wyeast Trappist high gravity strain for lower gravity beers, ironically.

I've made two batches of patersbier and two tripels with it. Both of the patersbiers had a nicer yeast character than the big boys.

hmm, I was thinking that I would get one of estery, fruity ones that will make a nice tripel....but when it's time to try and make a fat tirish brew I can just ferment longer at much lower temps to try and subdue the esters. Whitelabs claims this can be done with WLP500. I have ZERO experience brewing belgian style beers or working with the yeast strains..but I know with the yeast strains I have used I can manipulate the esters by controling fermentation temp.

+1 on the Wyeast Ardennes strain. Its delicious, and it works in both lighter and darker styles from my experience. Its the yeast I use in my Belgian pale ale, which I make about as light as you can get, but it makes it flavorful as all get out. The yeast pairs phenomenally with spicy hops like Saaz or Styrian Goldings.

Its also the strain in Stone's Vertical Epic 09, a "Belgian porter" if you want to give that beer a taste (which you should because it too is delicious). You can really taste that particular yeast in that beer - once you use it, you'll know.

hmm, I was thinking that I would get one of estery, fruity ones that will make a nice tripel....but when it's time to try and make a fat tirish brew I can just ferment longer at much lower temps to try and subdue the esters. Whitelabs claims this can be done with WLP500. I have ZERO experience brewing belgian style beers or working with the yeast strains..but I know with the yeast strains I have used I can manipulate the esters by controling fermentation temp.

That's true. There is a huge difference between 62ºF and 76ºF. I've actually got a porter fermenting with WLP500 at around 62ºF right now. Wasn't thinking clearly. That's what I get for posting after a night of, uh, beer reviewing.

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post... Fat Tire is NOT a belgian beer. I think a lot of people confuse it for one because the company is named New Belgium. It's actually an American Amber, so you shoul be brewing that with an american ale yeast. All the legit clones I've seen for FT have used Wyeast 1056.

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post... Fat Tire is NOT a belgian beer. I think a lot of people confuse it for one because the company is named New Belgium. It's actually an American Amber, so you shoul be brewing that with an american ale yeast. All the legit clones I've seen for FT have used Wyeast 1056.

I agree that it is not a true belgian beer, but I also think that part of it's delicious, earthy taste is a result of a yeast strain not typically used in an american amber ale..

Regardless, I am goign to set myself Ardennes or Belgian Abbey sound like great strains to me...the Abbey can work up to %15 which would be a heckuva tripel!

I agree that it is not a true belgian beer, but I also think that part of it's delicious, earthy taste is a result of a yeast strain not typically used in an american amber ale..

Regardless, I am goign to set myself Ardennes or Belgian Abbey sound like great strains to me...the Abbey can work up to %15 which would be a heckuva tripel!

I think the earthy flavor in Fat Tire may come from the Willamette hops, although I could be mistaken. At least in my recent amber, where Willamette was the feature hop (with California Ale yeast), it tastes very similar to Fat Tire.

I would think they use a fairly neutral yeast strain, there aren't a lot of prototypical Belgian-y yeast flavors coming through to my palette from Fat Tire

I think the earthy flavor in Fat Tire may come from the Willamette hops, although I could be mistaken. At least in my recent amber, where Willamette was the feature hop (with California Ale yeast), it tastes very similar to Fat Tire.

I would think they use a fairly neutral yeast strain, there aren't a lot of prototypical Belgian-y yeast flavors coming through to my palette from Fat Tire

This is right -- all the media info I have seen suggests that Fat Tire does not use a Belgian yeast strain.

I think the earthy flavor in Fat Tire may come from the Willamette hops, although I could be mistaken.

Flavor? In Fat Tire? Are you sure we're tasting the same beer? :D

Most of New Belgium's beers just haven't impressed me since their entry into North Carolina this past summer. But I love 1554 so much that I keep trying stuff as it's released here... and I'm always disappointed.

Biggest disappointment was 2* Below. I was really excited to try it after reading this on their website: "2° Below provides a bright, hoppy palate and a cheery warm afterglow." It was the lamest excuse for a "hoppy" beer I've ever had. Like drinking freezer-burned hops.

I just don't see what people like in Fat Tire. It's what my friends who are Megaswill drinkers have when they want a craft beer because in terms of flavor, it's about on par with Megaswill.

</controversial rant>

I keep the WLP500 around as my belgian yeast. Have only done a couple brews with it. One Quad which fermented into the mid 70's and had some subtle but recognize able fruity esters, and a Strong Dark that fermented closer to the high 60's/low 70's with less of those esters. This being simply because of the time of year i brewed them, and the temp we keep the house. I like the yeast, I'm going to do the 10.10.10 soon, and am debating using this yeast vs. the suggested on in the recipe thread.

Also, Yes, 1554 is fantastic, but the rest of NB doesn't impress me...at all

I agree with the unimpressiveness of Fat Tire and 2 Below, I've never liked those beers...OK and Blue Paddle, Mighty Arrow, Sunshine Wheat, etc.

But I actually really like their Abbey and Tripel.

I keep the WLP500 around as my belgian yeast. Have only done a couple brews with it. One Quad which fermented into the mid 70's and had some subtle but recognize able fruity esters, and a Strong Dark that fermented closer to the high 60's/low 70's with less of those esters. This being simply because of the time of year i brewed them, and the temp we keep the house. I like the yeast, I'm going to do the 10.10.10 soon, and am debating using this yeast vs. the suggested on in the recipe thread.

Also, Yes, 1554 is fantastic, but the rest of NB doesn't impress me...at all

Well, I am going with the WLP500 and making 4# candi sugar tonight, probably light colored.

I Love NB two below. I am not a 1554 fan, it just doesn't have enough body for me. However, I haven't had one in a long time, since I read up on schwartzbier I would like to try one again. Fat tire is a good beer to drink on tap at places that only have BMC or other junk otherwise. I do like the subtle earthiness in the FT though...it also comes through in two below.

Also, it should be known that NB is releasing a year around IPA very soon.

Well, there may have been some divine intervention. I recieved three bottles of Chimay trappist ale as a gift tonight. I consumed the trippel, and also what I believe to be the dubbel....both amazing.

I found yeast sediment to be available in both bottles... 1+1 =2. I prepared a starter and have the small amount of yeast sediment currently pitched in the starter. If this works I have no doubt I will havel a fantastic belgian strain. Wish me luck!

Well, there may have been some divine intervention. I recieved three bottles of Chimay trappist ale as a gift tonight. I consumed the trippel, and also what I believe to be the dubbel....both amazing.

I found yeast sediment to be available in both bottles... 1+1 =2. I prepared a starter and have the small amount of yeast sediment currently pitched in the starter. If this works I have no doubt I will havel a fantastic belgian strain. Wish me luck!

Unfortunately, my understanding is that Chimay does not using their special Belgian yeast strain for bottle conditioning. I believe they just use a neutral yeast strain for that, but I could be mixing them up with another brewery. I've had a few tonight so that's very possible. Anyone else know/remember?

Unfortunately, my understanding is that Chimay does not using their special Belgian yeast strain for bottle conditioning. I believe they just use a neutral yeast strain for that, but I could be mixing them up with another brewery. I've had a few tonight so that's very possible. Anyone else know/remember?

you are correct to my knowledge.

Also I don't even consider fat tire and American amber. It is so devoid of flavor(especially hops)... except the one that is common among most of NB's beers... Not sure what it is, but I want to say yeast.
Their saving grace is La Folie.... and Lips of Faith. Their other beers suck to be honest, and I'm hoping Allagash can make a better lambic.

Fat Tire def uses a clean American strain. However, the grain bill pairs pretty well with belgian strains IMO. I kegged one last month using wlp550. That strain is very spicy, and is excellent in both pales and in the FT clone.

doesn't look like I was successful in my yeast harvesting operations. WLP500 is going to have to get ordered. I am hooked on belgian tripel!

I made 5 # dark candi sugar last night.....I think I am going to follow a standard tripel recipe but use dark candi sugar instead of light. I am sure it will be tasty as all get out.

doesn't look like I was successful in my yeast harvesting operations. WLP500 is going to have to get ordered. I am hooked on belgian tripel!

I made 5 # dark candi sugar last night.....I think I am going to follow a standard tripel recipe but use dark candi sugar instead of light. I am sure it will be tasty as all get out.

You'll probably end up with something closer to a dubble then. A couple of the trappist use nothing but pils and dark candy sugar.

Well, my chimay yeast harvest was a success! The yeast is fermenting the starter!! Nice. My research also indicates that Chimay does not use a second, more nuetral, yeast strain for the bottle conditioning. They use the same strain as they do for primary. I am now in posession of a belgian yeast strain!! Now for a good dubbel recipe.

I am thinking

11 # pilsen

2# dark candi

2 oz argentine cascade at 60
1 oz argentine cascade at 1
Chimay Yeast!

WY 3787 High Trappist is my fav. You won't pull many esters at 64/65, but will pull lots in upper 70's. Ferment to style. The only thing that might be negative about it is that it attenuates a little dry given adequate conditions. If you're an all grain guy though, you can mash a little higher to keep some residual sweetness.

Back