Anything Obvisouly Wrong with my Spiced Winter Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o14Getz

Reaction score
I put together what I think would make a good Spiced Winter Ale. This is my 4th Brew with my own equipment. 1st was contaminated, second is bottled now after 5 weeks of conditioning and the 3rd was my first recipe without a kit. Which was a pumpkin ale that everyone loved. 2 people liked it so well that they invested in this double batch of spiced winter ale.

Heres the recipe. (I don't have my structure complete so its extract)

0.5lbs. Simpsons Medium Crystal
0.5lbs. Simpsons Dark Crystal

6lbs. NB Gold Malt Syrup
1.5lbs. Am Munton's DME

Kent Golding (UK) Pellets 1 oz 60min
Saaz Pellets 1 oz. 30min
Fuggle Pellets 1 oz. 10min

Wyeast Scottish Ale

Irish Moss 1 oz.

Allspice .5 tsp - boiled 5 minutes
Ground Clove .25 tsp - boiled 5 minutes
Cinnamon 1 tsp - boiled 5 minutes
Grated Orange Peel 1 Tbs - boiled 5 minutes
Cardamom 2 seeds - crushed - boiled 5 minutes

Is that too much sugar?
Any comments?
Anyone know the bitterness level with those hops?

:)

this looks like its gonna put you in the 1.074 ish range. i would back off. with the crystal grains and the honey i think your gonna be abit sweet. Also 2 pound of cyrstal is gonning to add alot of cloying sweetness- maybe back off on it a little. Usually i use no more than a pound...maybe 1,5.

Edit: Im assuming this is for a 5 gal batch

The one big problem I see with this batch is that something that malty, with that much crystal, and with that amount of spices will take quite a while before it mellows and is "ready to drink." Granted you can drink this beer at 5 weeks, but it will be "green", to me this looks like it is one of those beers that should age for 3 to 6 months to refine before being sampled. Unfortunately by the time 3 to 6 months are up you are looking at the spring and not drinking a winer warmer.

Thanks for the input.!

I'll just add the honey to my wildflower mead on deck and use .5 Crystal and .5 Dark Crystal.

I wish It could mellow more but this is going to be a family christmas beer.. I'll plan ahead next time for a good mellowing of the spices.

I need to get my scheduling fixed .. I have an oktoberfest that is just now going to be bottled.. although it has mellowed for 2 months now.

Thanks for the input.!

I'll just add the honey to my wildflower mead on deck and use .5 Crystal and .5 Dark Crystal.

I wish It could mellow more but this is going to be a family christmas beer.. I'll plan ahead next time for a good mellowing of the spices.

I need to get my scheduling fixed .. I have an oktoberfest that is just now going to be bottled.. although it has mellowed for 2 months now.

Interestingly Oktoberfests are actually Marzen's after the month of March, when they are traditionally brewed, then they are left to lager in caves or a cellar over the summer.

theres also no reason you cant drink them other times of the year. If you lose the honey addition and bump the crystal down to .5 lbs each you should be good. The only other thing i would do is make sure to leae behind all the spices so there not fermenting in the carboy (atleast the clove and cinnamon). If your aging for a long time they can become overpowering

by leave behind..you mean not put in at all?...i was hoping for a light festive spice. is there no better time to add it? maybe just knock down the amount?

by leave behind..you mean not put in at all?...i was hoping for a light festive spice. is there no better time to add it? maybe just knock down the amount?

oopps i just realised your not using a stick of cinnamon. When i brew i use whole cloves and a cinnamon sticks so i can control what passes from my boil kettle into the carboy....your amounts look fine. If you have a whole cinnamon stick floating around during fermentation the flavor has a tendancy to get spicy. Your using ground cinnamon which should be fine although ive only used whole cinnamon/clove....either way theres never an exact science. Beer is fun and experimentation and you may find this to be an exceptional brew. Good luck

Latest posts

Back