Grapefruit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexacuna

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking at doing an extract version of the Ballast IPA. I recently tried to use different hops and LME in a hef and it's drinkable, but undesirable compared to my other, so I might try to scale back on my adventurous brewing for a little and keep it simpler. Did just drink a red ale brewed to-recipe a few weeks back that is delicious.

Anyways, looking for a good Grapefruit IPA if anyone has any suggestions.

As mentioned above...there is a good clone recipe by Northern Brewer...

If you want the entire kit and not just the recipe you can purchase it on their website.

Simple:

9lbs Light LME
1/2lb corn or table sugar

Steep 1/2lb honey malt & 1/2lb carapils

1.5oz Nugget 60
1oz Cascade 8
1oz Mosaic 8
1oz Cascade KO

2oz Cascade Dry Hop 5 days after 2.5 weeks in primary

1.062 OG
1.014 FG

Safale US-05 or 1056

At only 5 ounces of flavoring hops I assure you that this is a very solid recipe for extract. High grapefruit notes.

Simple:

9lbs Light LME
1/2lb corn or table sugar

Steep 1/2lb honey malt & 1/2lb carapils

1.5oz Nugget 60
1oz Cascade 8
1oz Mosaic 8
1oz Cascade KO

2oz Cascade Dry Hop 5 days after 2.5 weeks in primary

1.062 OG
1.014 FG

Safale US-05 or 1056

At only 5 ounces of flavoring hops I assure you that this is a very solid recipe for extract. High grapefruit notes.

Thank you! Adding this to my brew journal now.

I got this all grain kit as a Christmas present but my fermenters are all booked up for the next couple of brews so it'll have to wait a bit. I've heard good and bad about it but I'll brew it none the less.

Plastic bucket fermenters are still under $20. It doesn't hurt to have one more.:mug:

Plastic bucket fermenters are still under $20. It doesn't hurt to have one more.:mug:

Actually the trouble is no room in the ferment chamber or at least it's all booked up. I already have the next brew day planned before the pulpin recipe....

Actually the trouble is no room in the ferment chamber or at least it's all booked up. I already have the next brew day planned before the pulpin recipe....

How many fermenters do you have in the ferment chamber and how long do you leave them there? The beer really only needs that chamber for about 3 days for an ale, longer for lagers. After that you can take one out and put the next one in, allowing you to make a batch every 3 days. I usually give my beers longer than the 3 days but I have lots of room and low demand for the beer so I don't need to rush it.

Just a review saying that the grapefruit is just not there like the real thing.

I've come to not trust reviews on recipes. personal taste plays a part, but the brewer and the way they brew it is the biggest part. too many questions: did you use tap/distilled/spring water? did you pitch enough healthy yeast? what were your fermentation temps? did you add or leave anything out? how long did you let it ferment? how long before you added the dry hop addition? blahda-blahda-bllurrrrr.

I'll brew it don the road a bit and then post a review of my own.....

Thanks for sharing. This brew is next on my list next week, so I'll try to review back to this post. I have read that the grapefruit shines through more after a few extra weeks in the bottle.

Ended up skipping the extract brew and going to do a citrus IPA DH w/cascade and zest. Will report back

Latest posts

Back