Adding final runnings after the boil has started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
I can barely start a boil large enough to get enough wort in the fermenter so that when I siphon into a keg I can leave the gunk on the bottom. Can I fill the boil pot with runnings and then take the little bit of last runnings in another container and then add those to the boil once some of it has evaporated off? Or would I be messing with hot break by adding after the boil is going? Just trying to get my volume up a little bit. I'm just thinking a couple of quarts, tops. Any opinions anyone?

I've done it before without problems, especially w/ bigger beers when I was using the pot that came with my turkey fryer.

I usually boil the remaining final runnings while the brew kettle is going. This way, anything that doesn't make it into the kettle is boiled. I then use this to top off the fermenter.

Unclesamskid said:
I usually boil the remaining final runnings while the brew kettle is going. This way, anything that doesn't make it into the kettle is boiled. I then use this to top off the fermenter.

This is what I do too, but I will typically get it all into one pot before the end of the boil. My only concerns with not boiling some of the wort for the full duration of the boil would be DMS and and break materials. Most of the break will coagulate pretty quick once you put it in with the rest of hte boiling wort. The DMS would only be an issue if you are using lots of pilsner malt and not boiling a substantial portion of the wort long enough. I would say that neither of these are massive concerns.

Good idea I didn't think of putting it on the stove to boil while the wort is boiling. I will try this next time. Thanks guys.

My first AG I ended up with too much wort to fit in my pot. Instead of trying to fit it all in the brew pot I started it boiling on the stove while my brew pot was boiling. After 30min I had reduced the volume enough to fit the whole thing in the brew pot and both pots had already had a hot break so there was much less chance of a boil over. Because of the excess water I still boiled for another 60 min and was able to add my hops to the entire wort.

Since that time I have taken to boiling my first runnings while I am letting the first batch sparge sit. Then draining that runnings into the brew kettle and bringing back to a boil before adding the final runnings. This greatly reduces the hot break with a full pot and makes boiling 6+ gal in a 30qt pot much easier.

If you are not boiling the running before adding it back to the brew kettle I think you need to make sure the entire wort is boiled sufficiently to get a hot break again. I would think adding at 30min would still work OK but I am no expert.

Craig

Back